Friday, April 17, 2009

Flashback Friday

You never know who you're going to find out there in the vast realms of the blogosphere and well today I had a blast from the past when I found this blog. Which leads me to the subject of this flashback... I took an art class at BYU, a drawing class, when I was trying to decide between being an art history major or trying to get into the illustration program (though I'm not sure I would have ever gotten into the illustration program - it was incredibly competitive). Nnamdi was the teacher of this drawing class, a graduate student because it was a introductory class, and probably the tallest person I have ever met. He was an incredibly imposing figure, but he was the friendliest and most jovial teacher I've ever had. My memories of him are showing off his engagement picture almost every class telling us what a lucky man he was and in addition to talking a lot about art and drawing he also talked a lot about garlic. He loved the stuff and had toast every morning with slices of raw garlic on it - funny that I remember he told us that. I remember how he would work his way around the room helping us all out with our drawings as he boomed out apothegms of art with his great Nigerian accent. One time he told us about what it takes to be a good artist and I remember to this day because it really struck me. A good artist as he saw it must practice and work at it everyday. Some people may not have been given the talents that others might have but if they put their blood, sweat, tears and prayers into it they will be blessed with talent. If an artist does not practice and work the Lord will take away what little talent he has and give it to someone who will use it. Nnamdi truly believed that anyone could be a good artist, it just took determination. Seriously, who wouldn't be inspired by a teacher like that?? He was like Mr. Keating in Dead Poets Society! Carpe Diem.

So when I stumbled upon Nnamdi's blog today it made me so happy to remember that class. I'm glad he is making his way in the world as an artist. His stuff is great. Oh and you might wonder why I decided to go the art history route - well I guess I just realized that blood, sweat, and tears passion for me was more for art history than my own art. It made me happier to study art than create it. I guess I'm weird that way. I would still love to draw or maybe even paint someday, but for now I think I've given up what little talent I had to someone who's using it (really I don't think my fingers even know what to do with a pencil and sketch pad anymore). For now though it's fun to reminisce and look back on the sketches I did 12 years ago in Nnamdi's class.



6 comments:

Heidi said...

I looked at his stuff. I love the mother and child sculpture.

I, too, am afraid that my art talent is withering away. I'm not ready to let it go, though. I need to take a class or something.

I love your drawings. You should start up again! You have talent.

Heidi said...

How did you scan your sketches? Are they photographs? All my sketches from BYU art classes are huge! I'd love to scan them or something to preserve them.

Jenni said...

Heidi, those are pictures I took with my camera last night. I'd love to see some of your sketches - how fun that we were probably in the HFAC around the same time.:)

Jenny said...

I like your sketches! That's cool that you happened upon his blog! I found the blog of my high school Drama teacher yesterday. Isn't it fun when you find stuff like that?

erin sheely said...

Good for you! It's awesome that you found out what you really wanted to major in...and you do have quite the artistic talent...something I didn't know about you!

Cami said...

Cool! I'm glad you found his blog. I never had any artistic talent to begin with, but I haven't actually picked up my viola since I quit teaching . .. hmmm . . .