Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Feeling the Cooking Love

I think freezer meal cooking fills a need I have to package and label and put things in neat little rows. I love ziplocks and foil containers and the feeling I get when my freezer meals are safely tucked away in my freezer. So today was a packaging/cook-fest for me as I made 6 lasagnas for my freezer meal swap. It was a lot of work, but I did it during Nina's nap and Ben's quiet time so I had quality time with my favorite tunes and love of cooking. The lasagnas are all stacked in my freezer ready to be swapped for other yummy meals and I am happy.

A lot of times I struggle with whether or not I should post about my everyday mundane like making freezer meals, but I think it's a good idea to record these moments. What we do with ourselves everyday is a good snap shot of what is important to us. Cooking is important to me. Since moving to CO I have made home-cooking a focus in my life (partially because I have a much better cooking kitchen now and also because I started recipe blogging and love it) and I feel like it's making a difference to our family. We go out to eat a lot less and I'm cooking from scratch tons more than I used to, including bread! I am a bread maker. That feels good to say. And the convenience meals that I do use are freezer meals that I or members of my freezer meal swap have made at home. It all makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Today I took pictures to record a day of freezer meal cooking. I wish I would have taken some with me actually in the picture, but since I was cooking alone and I never take a good camera-held-as-far-away-from-my-face-as-possible-picture (always a double chin!) I guess I'll only have food pics to document the day.


That big pot has about 36 cups of meat sauce in it - my arm still hurts from stirring, but it's one tasty sauce so it's worth it. Oh and just in case you want it this was the recipe I used. Isn't there something satisfying about those foil containers of lasagna lined up and labeled?!

11 comments:

Christie said...

I just have to tell you, that I've never been so tempted to do freezer meals. I love packaging, lining up and labeling. Looks yummy

gwyn said...

Those lasagnas all lined up in a row are oddly captivating! I love your freezer meal fetish - so organized.

Jenny said...

I really should start doing freezer meals like you do. I don't mind cooking, but I hate doing it every day. If I could just do a bunch at once I'd feel happier and more organized, I think. There is indeed something satisfying about seeing all those lasagnas lined up!

Also, that is one HUGE pot!

Jared - Christina said...

Where on earth did you get that pot??
I miss freezer meals. It would give me so much peace of mind these days to just pull something out of the freezer but as it is these days, we will just have to eat out!

Deb said...

that is SO awesome, jenni. i am slowly learning to appreciate cooking, but i can't yet say i'm a bread maker. i never thought i'd ever be TEMPTED to learn, but i am and perhaps i will some day.

Corinne said...

You're amazing. that LASAGNA is amazing. I love that you've found something that makes you so happy :)

Kellie said...

This is very inspiring, Jenni. I may have to get back into it. I just need a friend like you who lives nearby to keep me going. Anyway, I love that you blogged this and love your skills and generosity in this area of your life.

Jen Crook said...

Too funny! I love freezer meal cooking myself but yours look so much nicer and fancier than mine.

Jyl Clark said...

I love being the recipient of all your freezer meals! Thanks for the love that is cooked in to each one! They are always delish!

Cami said...

Holy Moly. That is NOT an everyday thing for most of us. Blog away. :)

Cheri J. Meiners, M. Ed. said...

It's nice to see that you are still doing freezer meals. It's something I've never done, so I admire your talent for it--you definitely encouraged a lot of people here to do it. :)