- Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte - Oh how I love this book. It makes me happy in its sick and twisted way, remembering of course that "sad is happy for deep people" (that is one of my all time favorite quotes - it's from the "Blink" episode of Doctor Who). This time I reread it for a book club that I hosted.
- Maid to Match by Deeanne Gist - This was definitely fluff, but fun. It is a romance between a maid and a rugged footman at the Biltmore Estate.
- The Thin Woman by Dorothy Cannell - This was a fun murder mystery. I don't know if I loved all the fat jokes, but it was a fast, effortless read and the main character was very funny.
- The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels by Ree Drummond - I think this was the best fluff I read in 2011. I loved it. It is the real story of how one of my favorite food bloggers, Pioneer Woman, met and married her husband, aka Marlboro Man. It was hilarious, sweet, and romantic.
- I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore - Lame. I'm sorry to say that, but yeah. It is a good book for a 12 year old (it was really on about a 5th or 6th grade level) and though movie was kinda enjoyable, the book was poorly written and predictable.
- O Pioneers by Willa Cather - I am going to seem like such a hater, because Willa Cather is a great author from all accounts, but I did not love this book. I wanted to, I really did, but it was so boring and I never seemed to connect with any of the characters. Then the ending was horrible. Horrible. I've heard My Antonia is amazing, so I think I need to read that one to feel better about Willa Cather.
- In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan - This book really did change the way I think about food. It made me want to make everything possible from scratch and made me love butter even more than I already do. That chapter on margarine scared me! I really recommend this book.
- The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance by Elna Baker - Okay so this book may not be for everyone -there is some language and Elna can be a little crass- but it is hilarious. It is the memoir of a young LDS woman in New York City. Elna struggles with her testimony, the culture of the church, her weight, her family (oh her mother is funny), and living and dating in New York City. I think Elna's struggles are real and human and her voice as narrator is refreshing and honest. She makes some bad choices that are hard to read, but overall I really liked the book.
- Elephant Run by Roland Smith - This book is a young adult fiction and takes place on a Japanese occupied elephant plantation in Burma during WWII. Interesting stuff. It was an enjoyable fast read and I think a great one for kids. Sophie read it after me and liked it too.
- Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen - I read this one right before the movie came out because I always like to read the book first. The atmosphere of this book was great and I can see why it was a best seller. It was beautifully written and the main character, Jacob, was very sweet and sympathetic. It had some rough parts, don't go near the hooch tent, but that's what you get with contemporary fiction. And oh yeah, the movie was also great with Robert Pattinson playing Jacob.:)
- Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen - I had never read this before and I loved it! An amazing classic. When I was reading it I convinced myself I liked it better than Pride and Prejudice, it was that good, but then with time lapsing I must admit I still think Mr. Darcy is the dreamiest so Pride and Prejudice is still my favorite Austen. I did gasp in shock during some of the worst Willoughby moments. He is awful!
- The Message by Lance Richardson - I read this for a book club and it is the near death experience of Lance Richardson, who was a member of the church and has since writing this passed away. It was an interesting read, but for me a little uncomfortable when I thought he described things that may have been too-personal of spiritual experiences. It was an good book club discussion though.
- The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright - Super fast, enjoyable, yet sappy read. I liked the idea of all these love letters, so sweet, but I thought the plot was lacking.
- Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyers - I can't help but be sucked back into this one from time to time. I heart Edward.
- Devil In the White City by Erik Larson - Great great book. Wow H.H. Holmes was one scary serial killer. I must admit the Worlds Fair parts, as fascinating and informative as they were, were a bit boring. Every Holmes part kept me reading though and I highly recommend it.
- Twilight by Stephenie Meyers - Okay, so #14 just wasn't enough. I really do heart Edward.
- Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua - This book is so controversial and fascinating. Amy Chua's style of parenting is abusive, but some of her thoughts were intriguing. I think you have to read it to understand. Her Chinese parenting certainly gets results. Her kids are amazing musicians and very successful in school, but she was so mean to her children. And I didn't like her stance that all Western parenting is indulgent and ineffective.
- These Is My Words by Nancy Turner - I had heard this was great and it was really good, but took me a while to get into. And I didn't like the ending, but unlike O Pioneers I did love the characters and the romance. Altogether a good book.
- Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella - I read this on vacation and it was the perfect get-away type read.
- Watermelon by Marian Keyes - I really liked this quirky little read. It is about a woman whose husband leaves her right after she gives birth to their daughter, horrible I know, and she decided to take herself and her new baby back home to her family in Dublin. It is a touching and funny book about learning to move on. And I liked being in Dublin.
- The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton - I liked this one. It was a generational story with romance and mystery. I did think it could have been tightened up a bit, the middle got a little boring, but all in all I really liked it. I plan on reading another Kate Morton soon.
- And Then There Where None by Agatha Christie - I am such an Agatha Christie fan! This one is great. It was a complete mystery till the end for me, I could have never thought up the who-done-it part.
- Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie - Loved this one! I loved having it be a Halloween themed murder mystery. Oh and the Masterpiece Mystery version of this on PBS was great!
- Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer - I'm too honest in my book lists. I should leave out the embarrassing ones... Please don't judge. And anyways I skip entire sections when I read this book so I really only read about 80 pages and then pretend the rest didn't actually happen. I like my version of Breaking Dawn with no monster baby. :)
- The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood - I can't believe I made it through this book. It was painful, bleak, and completely pointless. Nothing good happens. Everyone is miserable. The "love story" is awful. This book is on the New York Times Top 100 Best Books of All Time, which is mostly the reason I kept reading, that and because it was for a book club. I can sort of understand why critics like it - it is very artistically written, but wow it was rough.
- The Spy Wore Red by Countess Aline Romanones - I read this for a book club and it was really good. It is the memoir of a female spy in Spain during WWII. I like Aline. She was a spunky and gutsy spy. I don't know if I completely believed everything in her story (I'm sure she embellished) but I liked it and it was a nice change of pace from your usual not-so-fun-to-read WWII stories.
- Pumpkin Roll by Josi S. Kilpack - Please don't judge me for this one either. It is a LDS murder mystery novel with a sort of Mormon Ms. Marples. Total fluff. But seriously after I read The Blind Assassin I needed some brain candy. I didn't even love this book, but it was mindless and enjoyable and sometimes that's what you need, like mental mouthwash.
- Persuasion by Jane Austen - Oh what a beautiful book Persuasion is. I loved every moment reading this. From Anne's horrible father to her hypochondriac sister to the wonder that Captain Wentworth is. It was the most real feeling Austen novel I have ever read. Anne especially felt so real. It makes you wonder if it was somewhat autobiographical given what little we know of Jane Austen and her brief engagement.
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling - I read this one to Ben and we both loved it, of course.
- Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier - Again. I just love this book. The atmosphere is amazing and I love being in that house, even though it's creepy. Mrs. Danvers is in my opinion one of the scariest characters ever. I'm talking scarier than Gage in Pet Cemetery. She makes your skin crawl. Ooh, she is bad. Great writing.
- The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley - Great book. I thought it was so romantic and I loved all of it. A few friends said it was boring, but I didn't think so. It kept my attention and I read it really quickly. Being on the Scottish coast with these characters was great while it lasted!
- Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - I finally gave in and read this. Adrian had been trying to get me to read it for years. I liked it. I didn't think I would, but I did. I was surprised by how much Orson Scott Card got right, I mean this thing was written in the 80's before the internet and he talked about "the nets". Really cool. And I loved Ender. How can you not? I'm excited for the movie to come out next year with the kid from Hugo playing Ender.
- I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith - Wonderful, beautifully written book. I loved Cassandra, the narrator. She was so witty and her narration was poignant and imaginative. All the characters were so complex and developed. I just loved it! Though, I wanted to kill Cassandra for not liking Stephen. Stephen is the sweetest character ever. Amazing book. You gotta read it.
- The Queen of Hearts by Martha Brooks - This was a great young adult fiction that Corinne recommend on her book blog. It was such an interesting story about a young girl with tuberculosis in a Sanatorium in Canada during WWII. It's a coming of age story and though it was a quick read you really got to know the characters and their struggles. I especially loved her relationship with her roommate, Signy. Sophie read it right after me, she like it too, and it was neat to discuss with her.
Of course I've already started my 2012 readings and have quite a number of books sitting on my to-be-read-soon shelf. I'm going to try to read another Susanna Kearsley book since I loved The Winter Sea and I really want to read Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. I hope they're good. I wish you wonderful reads in 2012!

5 comments:
Of course I have to much to say :) Yes, My Antonia is fifteen times better than O Pioneers. Totally worth reading :) I also really liked Devil in the White City but since I am a huge fan of Chicago, I loved that history story :) LOVED and Then There Were None, I agree. Totally didn't see the end coming :) Persusation and I Capture the Castle = amazing, nice job. I put The Winter Sea on my list!
I am so impressed with your reading! Also, I like the quote about deep people's type of happiness. I am going to use that the next time I pick a sad movie to watch and my hubby complains about it. I have "Then There Were None." I think I will finally read it.
That's a long list jenni! I read so much this year I'll have to make a list so I can remember them all. I'll be back the next time I need a new title....right now I'm reading all the Harry Potter's. Yes, i've never read them....gasp. I'm on the second. :) Love them so far.
i just finished the forgotten garden and LOVED it. i hate when a good book has to end. off to pick up persuasion to fill the void!
thanks for the list, jenni! very fun. i have been meaning to read "i capture the castle" for a while now. i should just read it. and i read "in defense of food" this year, too. yeah. it has totally changed the way i look at food. enjoy your 2012 reading!
Post a Comment