Monday, January 13, 2014

Christmas 2013

We had a very busy, fun, and wonderful Christmas season. I'm going to do my usual recap with pictures for posterity. Here's hoping that my posterity will have access to this! I need to put together another blog book soon.:)
We decorated the tree whilst snacking on fudge. I love that tradition, especially the fudge part. Clara loved the tree and by some miracle never pulled it down or ate any ornaments. I think she was a little scared of it, but she loved sitting by it looking at the lights.
Nina had a little mini-recital/parents day at dance. She is taking ballet and mini-poms and loves them both. Her teacher is super sweet and talented.
Nina also had a Winter Glee Club performance (and sadly this is the best picture we got that night). It was an adorable concert. Nina is our little performer.

We went to Vail for a weekend in December and it was fabulous. The hotel we stayed at was great and had the best breakfast buffet I have ever beheld. Oh my goodness I loved that buffet. We had lots of lovely family time and the older kids and Adrian got to go tubing. It was just a lovely weekend in every way (well maybe not Clara having a horrible cold and ear infection, but she was a trooper). So nice to go away as a family during the craziness of Christmas. We hope this is a tradition in the making.

The Sunday before Christmas the kids wore their Christmasy outfits to church. Nina and Clara matched (thank you Hanna Andersson dress sale) and Nina was so happy about it. Look at those cute kids!
Our big Christmas Eve dinner. Some years we do this and some we don't, but Adrian really wanted to brine a turkey so we made all our favorite sides to go with it: Julie's jello salad, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, deviled eggs, olives, and a cherry cheese ball with crackers. Oh wow, we had leftovers for days and I'm still using the turkey leftovers we froze in dinners. Yum.
After dinner on Christmas Eve we had our nativity play. This is always a hoot. Clara was a rather large Baby Jesus this year - she loves being the center of attention so I think this was by far her favorite part of Christmas Eve. Nina was Mary and a Wise Man. Ben was Joseph and a Wise Man. Sophie was the Angel and a Wise Man. Adrian was Herod and the donkey (yes it was a little unorthodox to have Herod hold Baby Jesus as the Wise Men presented him with gifts). I was the narrator, costumer, and picture taker.
Pictures in jammies by the tree and then of course setting out treats for Santa. We decided Santa and Mrs. Claus would like Ferrero Rocher and Coke more than cookies and milk.
Christmas morning and Christmas lunch picnic by the tree. It was a lovely day!
And last but not least, Christmas puzzling fun. This year we did a Eric Dowdle "Vail Village" puzzle. Another tradition we love. I hope your Christmas was wonderful too!!

No comments: