So I've been noticing some things in the last couple of days. It's been a stressful time for me, but I've been able to look at a few things I've done with a curious sociological/psychological sort of perspective, probably because I've had lots of time to think whilst sitting around cuddling Nina or watching her sleep. I guess I have become slightly introspective. Did that make any sense at all?? Sorry. Anywho, I've noticed the things I've been drawn to (book-wise, clothes-wise, music-wise...) to comfort myself and thought I'd write a list, because I love a good list! Don't you?!
Fleece Hoodies -Now if you know me, you know I am drawn to this particular article of clothing, but in particular I've found that my fuzzy fleece hoodies (I have a mint green one and a salmon colored one) are like wearing a comfort blankie. So I've been reaching for them each morning, which means I need to wash one if I'm going to wear it tomorrow.
My Comfiest Jeans - I know a day will come when I get a hole in these jeans (oh they are probably a good 6 years old now), but I'm glad it hasn't happened yet. Nothing better than comfy jeans and a fleece hoodie. Ahhh.
Wuthering Heights - I've been reading this for a book club, but kept reaching for it in the hospital because it takes me to a different time and place that so far from where I am. I read it out loud to Nina that first crazy night in the hospital and it was the only thing that helped her fall asleep. I hope I didn't create some aversion to Wuthering Heights by reading it to her at a bad time. I guess if she loathes it in HS I'll tell her this story.
See's Chocolate - I know chocolate is a given, but man that chocolate bordeaux heart that Adrian gave me for Valentines day was dreamy today.
My Europe '95 playlist on my i-Pod - This definitely takes me to a different time and place. I've mentioned it numerous times, but I backpacked Europe with a friend when I was 17 and recently took all the songs that I had with me on that trip and put them into a playlist. How happy it makes me. I've pulled out my i-Pod while Nina is sleeping and it's totally soothing... Actually "Soothe" by Smashing Pumpkins is one of the most comforting ones of the playlist.
Toddlers and Tiaras - This is a completely silly and at times hilarious (and cringe-worthy) reality show on TLC. I watched it late last night because I was having a hard time falling asleep and completely lost myself in the little beauty queens getting ready for the Chittlin Strut Beauty Pageant in SC. Man, all the rhinestones and hair teasing...
Book Club - Adrian encouraged me to go to book club tonight. It was the Wuthering Heights book club and he knows how much I love that book and how for weeks I've been looking forward to discussing it with other ladies. I totally thought I wouldn't go, but when Adrian encouraged me I agreed that it was a good idea. (Adrian watched a movie with all the kids at the hospital while I went.) It was so battery charging to talk with these wonderful ladies and though I know I am slightly deranged for liking Wuthering Heights (Heathcliff especially) it was so fun to air my views and hear what other people thought of the book. When I went back to the hospital I felt renewed and ready to give 100% again, which is a happy result I think from 2 hours of chatting.
Blogging
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
You indulge in every one of these, you poor mommy. Man how i wish i were there to help you out with the big kids. :-( Praying for Nina.
We have a lot of the same comforts...hoodies, See's candies, a good book, and blogging. I wish there was someway we could help with everything going on...we will keep you in our prayers.
I'm so glad you got to recharge your battery last night!
Seriously--If you need ANYTHING large or small, CALL ME.
I caught myself watching that toddlers and tiaras show too the other night...hilarious!
i'm so glad you found a replacement book club! we TOTALLY miss you!
and i love your list of comforts.
I DO love a good list! And a good hoodie! Those are good comforts. You should do a journal page. :)
Post a Comment