Friday, May 29, 2009

Rocks


It seems like I am a Friday poster. Just an observation. Okay now for the crazy stuff - ROCKS. This past Monday, Memorial Day, we took part in a Colorado new home-owner ritual/rite of passage. We laid rocks, rocks, and more rocks all around the foundation of our house. Who am I kidding, Adrian laid rocks all around our house and I leveled some of them. Crazy crazy hard work, but doing it ourselves (look I'm pretending like I helped again:)) saved us tons of money. So early Monday morning a big ol' truck dumped 10 1/2 tons of rocks on our drive way and the rest was up to us... uh, Adrian. I tell you my man is a hard worker. He managed to work all day shoveling rocks, with help from 2 of our neighbors for a couple of hours, and actually finished shoveling and wheelbarrowing them all into the right places by night fall. I was seriously impressed. And it was raining for part of the time. That is dedication. So now we have the requisite 2 feet of rock all around our foundation and we feel like true Coloradans. If you come to Colorado to visit you will see just why we felt so out of place with out our rock laid for the last 9 months - I think our neighbor must have laid about 20 tons of rock around his house and back yard. All I can say is way to go Adrian!! (I refrained from saying "rock on" instead of "way to go", which I'm sure you are thankful for. :))

11 comments:

Jenny said...

It is a Colorado thing, isn't it? It's pretty ubiquitous in this area. I haven't been anywhere else where everyone used rocks in their flower beds and against the foundation. I wonder how much is cultural and how much is because of the expansive soils and arid climate?

Glad you got your rocks in!

Cami said...

Awwww, but "rock on" would have been so cool! I'm a fan of rocks myself.

Jann said...

Wow, I am seriously impressed. That is an amazing work ethic. Pictures please.

Jess said...

And I thought my 5 tons of mulch was a large task. Double that number of rocks and they're heavier! Wow.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Oh - I understand only too well.

Miriam said...

Wait, so why does everyone lay rock around their house in Colorado? I'm a little confused but happy you can feel more comfortable in your neighborhood.

Christie said...

THat is a LOT of rocks! Seriously, I hope you took some of the $$ saved and bought that man a massage. !

Jenni said...

Miriam, I'm not quite sure why we all put rocks around our houses, it might have something to do with soil movement - CO has funky expansive soil - and also because of water restrictions and wanting to keep moisture away from the foundation of your house. And everyone does it... so I guess it's peer-pressure too.:)

Heidi said...

Yes. . . rocks are big here, too. I hope you are prepared for the rocks your kids will inevitably use to line their pockets. My girls spend hours outside sorting through the rocks and looking for the pretty ones. THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME! (Okay, not really. But how many rocks can one kids have? We'll need a whole new load of rocks by the time they are done!)

KUDOS for laying them yourself. (Ours were here when we bought the house, but we will need more for the backyard.)

Susan said...

Good for you guys! We are getting ready to tackle that one ourselves. Rocks are a lot easier to deal with than grass! I'm weeding our yard getting ready to plant some and I'm thinking I'd like more rocks!!!

Take care!

erin sheely said...

Wow! That is some heavy lifting.