Monday, August 10, 2009

First Day of School '09

Last week Sophie and Ben had their first day of school. Sophie's in 5th grade and Ben is a kindergartner. It was a great day for both of them. Sophie has the favorite teacher of all 5th graders (by her own report) and Ben has a really upbeat and happy teacher that has already emailed all the parents and plans to update us regularly by email. I think that's awesome.

We started off their first day with our traditional breakfast out - this year it was IHOP. Then we had the kids pose for pictures before we all walked them to school. Nina had to wear her own little backpack on the way to drop of Ben and Sophie at school. I think she was a little sad when she didn't get to stay with them. After school everyone reported happy times getting to know teachers and new kids in their classes. Ben apparently met a very funny kid named Alex who likes pink and Sophie's teacher is the "best math teacher" which makes her very happy - she is such a math and science girl.

Can I just tell you it's kind of weird having 2 kids gone at school everyday. Granted Ben only has half day kindergarten, but still every morning it's just Nina and me. I think it's great because now I can give her more one on one time, but what am I going to do when she goes to kindergarten? I've probably mused about this on the blog before, but I know I'll cry. Enough of that. Stiff upper lip Jenni. I still have 2 years with at least one kiddo to keep me company and it's always a joy to watch them grow and learn new things. Now it's time again for homework, reading logs, spelling lists and remembering to buy lunch box foods when I go to the store. Goodness, it seems like summer ended quickly this year!

14 comments:

Jenny said...

Of course it seemed like summer ended quickly--our crazy district starts school the first week of August! :) I'm glad they had a good first day of school!

Jess said...

I've often bemoaned the fact that my youngest missed the cut-off for school by 10 days, but now I'm kind of glad b/c it means I have 3 more years of him at home with me instead of just 2. Matthew starts full-day kindergarten next week so I'll only have 1 at home - amazing!

Christie said...

Summer went by quick for us too. My kids started today. WOW. Sounds like your kids had a great day.

Tracy said...

Oh, we have a couple more weeks before we start! And I will be all alone. All my kids will be in school. It will be so quiet and strange, but I think I'll get over it as I work a little more, go shopping, get facials and maybe even occasionally take a nap!
So glad their first day was a good one!

Heidi said...

We start in two more days. I'll still only have one at school this year, but I will have another at preschool for a couple hours, so it will be just me and Lacie for a little while. Time sure flies!

Julia said...

hmm, I suppose you could bite the bullet and have another kid to help with the other kids growing up and going to school, but that only works so many times before you lose your sanity.

Jann said...

You are a better mom than me, because I completely had a celebration when all of my kids were in school. I am pretty sure James took the day off work, and we went to breakfast, lunch and shopping without the kids.

Deb said...

it did end quickly! what are you doing back in school??

but i'm already getting misty about jared going to preschool this year. i'll only have samuel three mornings a week. it's a little strange to see that they won't be home with me forever.

ashlee said...

Sounds great! Glad Sophie's so psyched by her teacher and that Ben is doing so well!

It IS weird that summer is over. We're usually planning a trip to the beach in late August, not school starting in early Aug!

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Starting school is bitter sweet. We have 2 1/2 weeks left. We have run out of things to do. For me, summer seems to be longer this year. How nice of you to take out your kids for breakfast on the first day of school!

Jeri said...

Wow. Your kids are growing so fast! Sophie in fifth!!!! That is so big. I totally nodded when I read about the school lunch items shopping! There is nothing like pb&j on a hotdog bun when there isn't any bread in the house! =)

gwyn said...

Wow, you're in school already! Part of me is jealous... we don't start till Sept. 10! ?!?!? I'm running out of summer ideas! But I'm glad your kids like their classes and are settling well. Enjoy your mornings with your little one!

Cami said...

Good luck with your little one alone at home. Imagine how I felt when my boys were gone and I had no Jane yet!! Crazy. But Janey is used to having me to herself, so I think she's pretty ready for summer to be over. Good luck this year!

Corinne said...

I'm so glad the kids are happy with their teachers, that's awesome. Poor Tufty gets one more year of afternoons home with mommy too :)