Saturday, January 09, 2010

Dr. Boo Who

I like Dr. Who. It's a British scifi series. Very weird for me. Try as I might I was never able to get into Battlestar Galactica - which would have made Adrian quite happy. I have not been able to get into Fringe. Star Trek and Stargate. Lame. (I know I'm offending masses, especially my husband, sorry.) I can list the scifi series I like on 1 hand: X Files, Red Dwarf, and Dr. Who. X Files ended so long ago, Red Dwarf is never on PBS anymore, so that leaves Dr. Who and Adrian and I have been watching this series on BBC America for about 5 years now, but guess what?? They've gone and screwed it up for me! Mostly I've enjoyed the series for 1 reason and that is David Tennant (aka Barty Crouch Jr. from Harry Potter 4) as The Doctor. I love that guy! He is so funny and quirky and I have a thing for funny and quirky actors/dancers/whatever. He is also a Royal Shakespeare Company actor and plays The Doctor SO well. He pulls the funniest facial expressions and made the writing seem even more witty because of his delivery. Well over Christmas they killed off David Tennant as The Doctor and replaced him with a 20-something year old named Matt Smith. I have nothing against Matt Smith, but I think they are trying to hit the wrong audience with a floppy haired actor that looks like he should still be in high school. So anywho, I'm sad. I so wish they could have kept David Tennant for a while longer. I know Doctors change (they "regenerate" in order to facilitate actor changes to make the series stretch out forever), but Tom Baker was The Doctor for years and years. I'm bummed out. I'll give Matt Smith a chance, but David will always be the real Doctor to me.

2 comments:

Jann said...

People, please quit messing with what is not broken.

Julia said...

I heard that both Peter Eccleston (the first Doctor of the new series) and David Tennant wanted only a short term of being the Doctor. And of course, the character development was so rapid that David's Doctor had no where else to go. I wish they could have kept Donna, though. I was tired of all the women companions falling in love wiht him. Tom Baker played the Doctor for so long because he absolutely loved it. His wife was even on for a couple of seasons as Romana. Give Matt a chance, he may surprise you. I'm still hoping they bring back Romana, although she was a Time Lord as well, so she's probably dead :(