Monday, January 25, 2010

Randomness

Other than the same old same old here's a list of random things we've been up to:

Spy Games: This is one of the cutest pretend plays that Ben and Nina have been SO into lately. We're not sure where they got pretending to be spies from, but they sneak around the house giving each other thumbs-up and whispering in raspy kid-whispers. Adrian and I both cracked up the other night when we spotted them on either side of the door way to the kitchen giving each other hand signals and then crawling away on hands and knees. Ha!

Reading: That's pretty much what I've been doing this month, well in between drop-offs and pick-ups and laundry etc. Since the beginning of Jan. I've read The Help (good), The Actor and the Housewife (goodish, but frustrating), Summer of My German Soldier (I loved this book as a 13 year old and I still like it, but certainly don't love it as much as I used to) and right now I'm reading Murder on the Orient Express and I'm loving it! Agatha Christie is so clever and funny and I love all the clues and cast of interesting characters. Why have I not read an Agatha Christie novel before?!

Middle School Craziness: I honestly cannot believe that I have a child starting middle school this fall. Its nuts. I'm not that old! Really. Okay I guess I am. Sophie is VERY excited for middle school and gets to register for classes soon. She gets to pick out electives and everything and the registration is online. It feels like I'm sending her off to college! Crazy. One bummer is that she can't take orchestra (viola) and a language which I think is totally stupid, but oh well. She has decided to take a language (Spanish) and will still take piano lessons so its all good. I'm glad that she is excited for middle school, but if I'm honest I'm a little sad and scared by the whole thing.

Nina's First Braid: I can braid Nina's hair! Today I got her soft still baby-fine hair into a side braid for the first time. I love seeing that cute little braid fly around as she's playing.

Quiet Nights: Is it wrong that one of my favorite parts of the day is after the kids go to bed and Adrian and I hang out watching favorite shows for a couple hours?? We turn on the fireplace (it's a gas fireplace) in the family room, get our glasses of ice water, and pick either a Netflix movie or something on the DVR and just veg. Tonight I'm going to try to convince him to watch the new Masterpiece Theatre Emma with me.

10 comments:

Jenny said...

If it's wrong that after the kids are in bed is one of your favorite parts of the day, then I'm wrong too! I look forward to vegging out on the couch with Matt after the kids are in bed every night. Tonight? Chuck!

Jann said...

I remember the first time I walked into the middle school. It seemed so huge. Lame that they make her pick between viola and a foreign language. Actually, my kids had to pick that too, sort of. They could take a foreign language, but they were pulled out for sectionals with viola, so it made it impossible to do well in language. We just went with viola and my girls have done the language thing in high school.

Yes, my favorite time of day is after the kids are in bed. It is the me time of the day, and it helps me recharge.

Vanessa said...

We do the evening TV thing together too. I love it.
But it is too often speckled with curtain calls by small people.

Jeri said...

What a great month. I can't believe Sophie will be in middle school...that's crazy.

Wyatt got a spy kit for Christmas. I think he will have more fun with it if encourage him to share. Sounds like fun over at your place.

ashlee said...

i'm sitting here trying to process the fact that sophie is nearly in middle school. that can't be right?! love that ben and nina are playing together like that. and yes, post-bedtime is my favorite time, too. and the only time i see doug, so nothing wrong with that!

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Quiet nights are my favorite too. We alternate between chick flicks and Sci-Fi. We recently watched Anne of Green Gables.....

Cami said...

After I finish Catcher in the Rye, I am reading The Help. Glad to know it is good, because I just spent a LONG time reading a DUMB book. (Not Catcher, that's awesome.)

MY kids are playing SPY a lot too!!! Jeffy's always hiding around corners, and he wears his bowtie as well.

gwyn said...

Fireplace, icewater, and a movie (and hubby) sounds perfect. As much as I love my kids, that is my favorite part of the day, too! And I am such an Agatha Christie fan. I'm like a little old English lady - I think her books are so thrilling. I hope you try some more of them!

Corinne said...

Middle school? Really? That means next year is Sheely's last in elementary school and it is so hard for me to believe that's possible!

Deb said...

oh, i miss those evenings watching tv and winding down the day! now, it's prep for seminary and go to bed ASAP. :) i haven't even watched the new emma. if you do talk him into it, let me know if it's well done.