Saturday, July 07, 2012

June Days (the not so lazy days of summer)

Another month gone by with nary a post. I'm such a slacker. Or I've just been on Pinterest and food blogs waaay to much! Well here's another month in pictures. June was quite the busy month for us. Nina's ballet/tap recital, Sophie's girls camp, Ben's scout camp...  And of course keeping up with the kids' piano lessons, swimming lessons, and soccer games. Fun times.

I also instituted a summer learning program for the kids. Every week day, almost :), the kids have worksheets (I've been using Summer Bridge activity books for Ben and Nina and a Geometry workbook for Sophie), reading, and journal pages to complete. I made some punch cards and they get a hole punch once they've done their work. After 5 punches they get an agreed upon treat. We've had frozen yogurt, gone to movies, and this week they are working towards a trip to Krispie Kreme. It has been our most successful summer "mom school" yet. Yay. And the great part is that if they complain they don't get a punch. So I haven't heard any complaints. I think I'm sticking with this plan every summer.
Seriously, can this child get any cuter than in her ballet costume??!! I love it. The dance recital was all about Snow White. During her ballet dance her class danced with Snow White, and during her tap dance she was a little dwarf tapping around with the 7 Dwarfs. It was addddoorrrabbbllle!!!
From all accounts Sophie had a fantastic time at girls camp. She loves it every year. She is such a camper! And she loves staying up late laughing and talking with her friends. The theme this year was princesses and because of the new Brave movie with archery as a major focus, Sophie got to fulfill her Katniss dream of shooting with a bow. (She's the 5th one from the right in the picture.) She loved it. As a matter of fact she loved it so much that she talked her Dad into talking her to a place where they could shoot arrows together. (Honestly, it was not a hard sell as Adrian has Hawkeye dreams of his own.) As I write this she is at a bow hunting practice range shooting with Ben and Adrian having an awesome time. It will probably become a regular Saturday activity for them. My funny family. Hunger Games and Avengers has changed our lives, but as a plus we'll be good when the zombie apocalypse happens because bow hunting skillz seem to be a major plus in Walking Dead. Just to get one more geek reference in this paragraph - the Hobbit comes out in December!!Woot!
Oh how my boy loved Cub Scout camp. For 3 days he got to play games, do leather crafting (he made a new case for his DS), pan for gold, and revel in all things scouting. Everyday he came home so incredibly dirty - like Olympic gold medal in dirt dirty - though he does look kinda clean in those pictures. Rolling in mud must have been the next activity that day. I think he wishes scout camp could go on forever!
And last but not least, Father's Day. I must embarrass Adrian every year with a picture the moment after our children piled into bed and wake him up. He's a good sport. He is not allowed to take any similar pictures on Mother's day.:) We had a fun day on Father's day with presents (a new charcoal grill and some Eddie Bauer shirts - Adrian cannot have enough plaid shirts), church, ribs, pasta salad, and corn on the cob for dinner and fresh peach pie for dessert. Then we ended the day with a family movie night with Journey 2. We love you Adrian! You are the best husband and father!

1 comment:

Meg said...

Your summer punch card idea is intriguing. We've had a lot of whining and way too much computer so far this summer.