Thursday, June 14, 2007

Persuasion

I just had to share this paper I found in Sophie's school folder. In her class they are learning how to write persuasive paragraphs - making an opinion statement followed by supporting arguments. I'll just put down what Sophie wrote.

Dear Mom and Dad,

In my opinion I should have a cell phone. First, I could order us dinner. You wouldn't have to call the restaurant yourself. Second, I can call you if I need you. I'll stay safe. Finally I'll buy the cheapest phone. You will save money. As a result I hope you agree that I should have a cell phone.

Love,
Sophie
Wow, so can you believe that!! I read it and then talked to Sophie about it asking her if she really wanted a cell phone. She got all giggly and nodded her head. I totally had no idea that this was on her mind - my Sophie is acting so tweeny!! I showed the paper to Adrian and he just chuckled. We especially enjoyed the ordering dinner and "cheapest" part. Sophie is a hoot! You can also tell in that that we've been stressing the need to save money at the moment for vacations and what not. Isn't it funny how much kids absorb that you don't even realize. Anyways, I don't think we'll actually be buying our 7 year old a cell phone just yet, but it was fun to hear her opinion on the subject!! :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My 12 year old wants a cell phone but no such luck for her. She assures me she makes enough money to pay for it but no way....no way no way no way. It's a dumb trend for kids. We have plenty of phones kicking around here for her to use if she needs to take one somewhere. Silly kids!

The Pugs said...

Wow! That made me giggle! I'd say that she did have some good points though...I'm guessing she got an 'A' on the paper? Good for you though, I definitely can't imagine any reason that a seven year old could need a cell phone!

Corinne said...

I love that paragraph! Sophie is so great. I love when we get to see what's really going on in their minds :)

Lynette said...

That is crazy! I'm amazed with kids these days...they seam to know everything....how to work computers, cell phones,etc. How funny that a 7 yr old wants a cell phone!

Julia said...

That was really cute, and quite persuasive! Of her three reasons, though, the one that works for me is the safety issue. They have 'kid' phones where the parent can program in the 2-3 phone numbers the kid is allowed to call, and the kid can take it whereever they go, so if they ever have a problem, they can phone home. More expensive than the quarter my mom made me take everywhere, but same idea.

Jann said...

So funny. I love assignments like this. You do get a glimpse into their very creative minds.

Our oldest finally talked us into the cell phone. It is the going to high school, and out of our control thing that gets me. Safety. She is under very strict usage guidelines. She uses the camera more than the phone.

Mendy said...

Okay, we already talked about this, but I just have to say that this cracks me up. I just love the child logic of it all.