Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Another Book Review: The Hunger Games

Ooh, I just finished The Hunger Games for my book club coming up tomorrow night. I am still trying to digest the book and figure out what my opinion is on it. I am biased in the fact that I generally hate science fiction. Really really hate it. But I did not hate this book and I'm trying to understand why. It was nasty subject matter, a horrible world that I did not like spending time in, and a classic commentary on mans inhumanity to man along the lines of Lord of the Flies or Animal Farm... So why am I not writing a horrible review on how gross and icky it was?? Okay, I'm thinking it was because I got involved in the story of the main character. I liked how plucky and courageous she was. I like the tangled romance and especially the sweetness of the would be love interest Peeta. The story line kept you on the edge of your seat.

Oh I guess I should say what the story was about. So there's this world that exists in what was once North America. It has a main government seated in the Capitol with 12 "districts" surrounding it. Well at one point there were 13 districts, but the districts rose up against the Capitol and were beaten down with the 13th district being completely obliterated. So as punishment for the uprising the Capitol draws the names of 2 children from each district and makes them compete to the death in "The Hunger Games". Doesn't that sound absolutely disgusting? And really it is. But I got so caught up in the story that I didn't hate it all. It was such a quick read and I do recommend it. It was not a feel good book, but interesting and cleverly written. I guess it was like a really nasty and to the death Survivor. Crazy that I like it. Um, the ending totally perturbed me though and I'll leave it at that so that I don't give anything away.

7 comments:

Cami said...

We have much the same feelings about the book. You should go read the nook discussion about it.

Jyl Clark said...

I'm so happy to read your blogs again! Don't feel bad not keeping up with it! You have had some CRAZY times this past couple months. I, on the other hand, have just been plain lazy! Love to read your stuff!

Jared - Christina said...

Hmmm..think I'll stick with Austenland! :) Can't wait to see ya!

Susan said...

I haven't been keeping up with my friends blogs lately. Hope everything is going better now and Nina is doing better. It's tough to have a little one in the hospital. Take care.

Corinne said...

I second what Cami said :)

Deb said...

why is it that science fiction/speculative fiction is always SO negative about the future? i haven't figured that out. and yet we romanticize the past. hmmm...

this one was recommended to me by two other people. maybe i'll have to give it a read.

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

The books sounds like the perfect book for husband and wife to read. Keep the man happy with Sci-fi and a little romance for the ladies. I agree with Deb...why are sci fi books negative about the future?