
Wednesday, July 08, 2009
4th of July '09
We decided to think out of the box a little when it came to our 4th of July festivities - we went to the Renaissance Festival! It was so much fun. And it was kids free weekend so bonus. I'll admit it was a weird way to celebrate our nations independence in a place were all the costumed crowds were pulling fake cockney accents, but it was fun family time nonetheless. We even all dressed up as royalty for a family picture. On the 4th of July. Take that King George. I had to laugh at the irony a little as we were putting on the dress-up clothes. I think the kids liked the jousting the best though I'm thinking my funnel cake and enjoying the general spectacle was my favorite part.
After we got home and all had a good rest we did fireworks in front of our house. The "fireworks" we did mostly consisted of sparklers, snaps, and spinning flowers. I think if we would have done any more serious fireworks 2 of our kids would have freaked. Ben and Nina are not big fans of fire in any form or loud noises. But we did persuade Ben to actually hold a sparkler for a brief period of time - progress. Nina on the other hand would not even throw a snap at the ground and cuddled me for the entirety of Adrian's minimal firework show. We could from our front porch see all the illegal fireworks in our neighborhood. (Anything that explodes or leaves the ground is illegal around here.) We couldn't believe some of the fireworks our neighbors had, obviously quite a few took a trip to Wyoming to buy some major fireworks. Later once it was completely dark we watched the city fireworks from our porch. It was a lovely 4th!

The kids watching fireworks. We were all wearing warm clothes because it was so unseasonably cold on the 4th, especially that night. And for the life of me, will I ever be able to get a non-goofy picture of my 5 year old??

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Sounds like fun! The royalty pic of you guys is very cute.
I wasn't here on the 4th this year, but I know in past years our neighborhood has had a ton of illegal fireworks. It seems rather common. One year, they were shooting them off too close to our house, and several landed ON OUR ROOF. I was thisclose to calling the cops on them. I didn't though. But, we did keep finding their exploded fireworks in our backyard every time we did yard work for quite some time.
Fireworks from your porch, can't beat that! Looks like a great day. I LOVE LOVE the fam picture.. I would totally do that with my family. SO COOL!
Love your family photo! You guys are too cute. What fun neighbors you have!
It looks like such a fun 4th. How great that you can watch the fireworks from your house. Fantastic!
Very fun. You guys are funny with your ironic holiday. Nice job.
Totally awesome photo and what a fun day. I would totally do that for the 4th. Good on you!
I'm not gonna lie, it reminded me of how you also spend Thanksgiving Day at the Renaissance Festival. You slay me. I wish you were closer to me :)
Isn't it funny how for every state with strict laws about fireworks, there's at least one neighboring state you can go buy them at any way? Sorry to hear about Sophie's injury. That is pretty impressive though to make it nearly to 10 without any ER trips.
that's awesome! i SO MISS doing sparklers and stuff! silly howard county!
and i love that you got in touch with our nation's roots for the 4th. if we'd lost the war, we'd all have real accents. :)
Wow, that sounds like a fabulous way to celebrate! Rennaisance Festivals and fireworks! My kind of party!
Post a Comment