Wednesday, September 30, 2009

What do you do with a bunch of sick kids??

Over the weekend we had sick kids - every single one had a fever and cough and was not feeling great. But the problem was I was getting stir crazy. STIR CRAZY. I think one more day of sitting at home watching Pixar movies would've pushed me over the edge. So Adrian and I drugged the kids (with Motrin for their fevers) and decided to go for a long drive. We wanted to see some pretty fall foliage, but the trees did not cooperate. So instead we saw very pretty but very green foliage in the mountains. It was great listening to the Beatles as we drove along. We drove up to Woodland Park and saw the coolest view of snow covered Pikes Peak. Then on the way back we stopped at Garden of the Gods. Beautiful. We stopped and got out to look around at the COOL rock formations (and of course take a couple of pictures), but alas our children kept having cough-attacks so we got back in the car and commenced driving around again. Even though we were in the fresh air far away from other people the other tourists at Garden of the Gods were looking at the kids like they had the plague. We did stop at the Garden of the Gods Gift Shop. I went in alone and got us a magnet. Tradi-t-i-o-n! Tradition! (That was suppose to sound like Tevye from Fiddler on the Roof.) What would a day trip be without a magnet?? It was a lovely drive and the kids enjoyed it. I think the kids were probably just as ready as me to get out of the house after a full week of being stuck inside.

As an update the kids are better! Yay! They all still have a lingering cough and of course Nina's asthma has flared up so she is still doing neb treatments 3 times a day. But all in all they are doing good. Now let's just hope that Adrian and I don't get sick!

8 comments:

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

What a good solution for cabin fever. We collect magnets over here too.

Christie said...

Wow you're brave. Sick kids, car ride, have to say, don't know if I would be that brave. :-) I'da left em with their dad. LOL! Good for you tho, made a great fam. day.

Tracy said...

I don't mind when the kids are sick and just lay there watching movies. But I'm glad you got out and I'm glad everyone is better. Sorry you're already having cold weather.

ashlee said...

glad you got out! and i totally said tradition in my head the way you intended. isn't GoG beautiful? and i know it's October, but i couldn't believe all the snow on Pikes Peak already!

Corinne said...

Nicely done. I probably would not have thought of just taking a drive, but it's a great idea :)

Cami said...

I HATE sickness. But I think outdoor activities and drives are great, as long as the sickies can handle it. Good job.

Jenny said...

We used to do drives like that when Henry was too little to go out. It was January/February and I was tired of being cooped up inside with a newborn. So, we'd hop in the car and sight see from the car. Definitely a good idea.

Glad the kids are better!

Deb said...

what a good idea. just being outside makes me feel better than being trapped in the house with coughing children!