Tuesday, November 03, 2009

"You're the meaning in my life. You're the inspiration..."

That's not exactly what I said to THE PIONEER WOMAN!! last night, but I could have. Nor did I tell her she is the "wind beneath my wings" and I'm really glad I didn't let that one slip because it did run through my mind and heaven knows it was late and I was completely awe struck when I actually met her and then if I would have said it I probably would have gone on some crazy fan list kept by her publishers and also of course been embarrassed. Forever. Let me start at the beginning. Last night Jenny and I went to Ree Drummond's (aka The Pioneer Woman from Pioneer Woman Cooks - my very favorite recipe blog!!!) book signing in Denver for her new cookbook The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl. We waited in a crazy long line of happy and semi-disgruntled fans for about 4 hours before getting to meet her. Can you feel the devotion??!! At the beginning she answered some questions and it was so weird to hear her talk! She's a real person. Who makes the most incredibly delicious food!! I know it's totally weird that I'm such a fan of some woman who cooks on a ranch in Oklahoma, but seeing her in person was like meeting Paula Deen or Ina Garten for me. I probably cook more Pioneer Woman recipes than any other celebrity chef and she is a stay-at-home-mom that started food blogging 3 years ago. It's crazy how the blogosphere has produced so many celebrities in such a short period of time.

Well anywho, Jenny and I waited and waited and chatted as we did which was awesome and then we finally got to the front of the line and my mind went blank. I told her that I loved her chicken spaghetti and BBQ meatballs and we went on to have a short conversation about her BBQ meatballs were she said, "They really are good aren't they, like little meatloaf balls," to which I said, "in a special sauce!!", which she laughed at and agreed that it was a special sauce. So in short I kind of made an idiot of myself. But at least I didn't start quoting cheesy 80's songs to her because honestly I was just that tickled to meet her. And she signed my cookbook. Oh I am SO happy! Thanks Jenny for another fun adventure together!!


Ree and I talking about meatballs.

7 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm pretty sure we posted at nearly exactly the same time. :)

I was such a fangirl, totally telling her that her blog made me like cooking. I'm such a dork. :)

It was a fun adventure, wasn't it? (Oh, and I did a little research and figured out exactly which neighborhood those awesome victorian houses were in--the Congress Park neighborhood)

Corinne said...

FANTASTIC!! I love it, really. What a perfect outing for you :)

Cami said...

You guys are funny. Very fun outing!

Unknown said...

I am so jealous!!!! I wanted to go to book signing near me, but no such luck. I did get her cookbook and LOVE it.

Christie said...

LOL!! How cool. Sounds like a great evening, and I need to try her stuff. I've heard it's good.

Jann said...

Pretty funny Jenni. Sounds like a great time.

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

I have never met anyone famous. I don't think I would know what to say either. I think you did a great job!