Thursday, December 23, 2010

Decembering Part 2: The Food

Let's be honest, part of the wonderfulness of December is the food. Oh the food. We have received the most scrumptious goodies from neighbors and friends and we ourselves have been making a bunch of treats. Have you tried mint chocolate covered Ritz crackers?? Oh man! So yummy. We got a homemade gingerbread house kit from my sweet friend Heidi and it was so fun to put that together. It actually has candy glass windows. Heidi is a star. Did I mention that it smells so good too. Every time I pass by the finished gingerbread house I make sure I inhale deeply. Today we've been preparing for our Christmas Eve dinner. Adrian is making another brined turkey - yum. And we are going to have all our favorite sides including deviled eggs and crescent rolls. Tomorrow evening we will also be making our traditional Finnish Ribbon Cookies for Santa Claus which of course are pretty much just butter and sugar. Wonderfulness I say! Dr. Oz says that we all eat about 600 extra calories a day from Thanksgiving through New Years and I believe him, but wow isn't it a delicious time of year. Starting Jan. 1st I'll be good and eat a lot less butter, cream cheese, sugar, and did I say butter? No wonder people get depressed in January!

Making corn flake wreaths for a Family Home Evening treat. Ben and Nina loved decorating them with red hots and m&ms, but were not even going to try anything covered in green goo. Adrian, Sophie, and I loved them.

The gingerbread house. See how it even has 2 levels?! The kids had so much fun decorating it.

Me with a pan of hot crescent rolls. Mmmm bread... You can see my quirky hot pads. Yes, they are welding gloves and I love them!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

We love making those cornflake wreaths, too. And your chocolate Ritz were yummy!

Tracy said...

I didn't even notice the food in the picture, I'm too busy being totally envious of that kitchen! Love your home!