Thursday, December 09, 2010

Thanksgiving At Last

I can't believe I'm just now posting about Thanksgiving. For the first time in my life I made a real honest to goodness Thanksgiving dinner for my family. This was made possible by Adrian agreeing to do the turkey. And I mean the whole turkey. I never had to touch it at all. Awesome. There is just something strange with me and turkeys. I love to eat them. Turkey is yummy. But even wrapped in plastic they are still huge dead animals (sorry for that visual) and I just can't get my head around touching one. Maybe someday I'll cross that bridge (with gloves on), but for now Adrian is the turkey guy in our house and he made one beautiful, flavorful, moist turkey! He made Alton Brown's, of Good Eats fame, brined turkey and wow it turned out great! He also made the sweet potato casserole this year which was also very good. I made everything else. Here's a link to our menu.

So we spent the morning cooking happily (really it was fun) and then around 1:30 we sat down to our feast. Everyone had their favorites. Mine was the deviled eggs, Adrian the sweet potato casserole, Sophie the sweet cherry cheeseball with crackers, Ben the cranberry sauce (jellied kind from the can of course), and Nina's favorite was the turkey and mashed potatoes (she's a traditional kinda gal). We ooohhed and aaahhed over Adrian's turkey and took pictures and stuffed our faces. Wow it was all so good. But we barley made a dent in all the food. (We had leftovers for days.)After our feast and some napping we headed to Tangled for our traditional Thanksgiving movie. That was so cute. I really enjoyed it and so did the whole family, though I'm thinking Nina loved it just a little more than anyone else. Then we came home and had pie (ooh that pumpkin cheesecake was good!) and let everyone pick a game to play. Nina chose the Ice Cream Scoop game (that's a given if you let Nina pick a game). Ben chose Sorry which honestly is amazing because every time we play that game he ends up getting his feelings hurt, but still it's his favorite. Then Nina and Ben went to bed and Sophie challenged Adrian and I to Harry Potter Clue. That is a FUN game . And Sophie won! And then rubbed it in telling Adrian and I that she is "highly logical" and that's why she won. (Hermione said that in the HP7 movie and I think Sophie took it to heart.) The nerve. Really though it was fun.

Thanksgiving was awesome. I guess it really is worth it to put in all the work of cooking for a lovely family day full of delicious food and fun times spent together. I think this years Thanksgiving is somewhere in the top 5 days I'd sign up for the Groundhog Day treatment. Hope your Thanksgiving was great too!

6 comments:

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

I have never done a Turkey either. Maybe someday I will grow up and do Thanksgiving. For now, we get invited to other peoples houses. This year we traveled......oh well....looks like it was a special day!

Meg said...

That was a gorgeous turkey! Kiree and I played the icecream game at our parks and rec class and I haven't seen it at any stores. Where did you get yours? Did you buy it a while ago?

Jenni said...

I think I bought it about a year ago at Target? Or Walmart. It is Nina's favorite! Maybe they have it on Amazon?

Corinne said...

WOW!! Seriously, that is a fantastic holiday for you. I'm so pleased :)

Kellie said...

This sounds quite perfect in every way!

Jenny said...

Sounds like a lovely Thanksgiving!