
Corinne posted a fun book game on her blog, here it is:
I got this idea from from Book Nut. I always love a book related idea
1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 4 sentences on your blog along with these instructions.
5. Don't you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.
"He had always known that business was regarded as some sort of secret, shameful cult, which one did not impose on innocent laymen, that people thought of it as of an ugly necessity, to be performed but never mentioned, that to talk shop was an offence against higher sensibilities, that just as one washed machine grease off one's hands before coming home, so one was supposed to wash the stain of business off one's mind before entering the drawing room. He had never held that creed, but he had accepted it as natural that his family should hold it. He took it for granted - wordlessly in the manner of a feeling absorbed in childhood, left unquestioned and unnamed that he had dedicated himself, like the martyr of some dark religion, to the service of a faith which was his passionate love, but which made him an outcast among men, whose sympathy he was not to expect.
He had accepted the tenet that it was his duty to give his wife some form of existence unrelated to business."
- Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand
Whew, I should win some kind of contest for picking the book with the longest sentences EVER!!! That's what you expect I guess of Ayn. Interesting to think of his social rules reguarding the separation of life and profession like that. I actually haven't read all of Atlas Shrugged. (I really want to.) It was in the drawer of our dining room buffet though so it was definitely the closest. A friend, Carrie, let me borrow it (thanks Carrie) when I was pregnant. I never finished and its a little unlikely that I will at the moment. That's a book that needs some serious time and attention...Guess I should give it back and get my own copy...
Fun book game though!

1 comment:
I agree - you win the award for finding the longest four sentences!!
Post a Comment