Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Twilight and New Moon



So I finished Twilight and New Moon.... Wow, I was immediately sucked (he he - little vampire fiction joke) into these books, they're great! It was like being time-warped back to junior year of high school for me. I wasn't conscious that I remembered exactly how I felt as a teenager, but believe me when you read these books its like you're right there again with all those self-conscious emotions and complex high school social rules. Amazing....

The most amazing part though was how close to home these novels hit. The main character moves to a small town half way through her junior year and is a little strange/awkward... It took me right back to my high school experience, which is something I try to avoid thinking about to this day - thank goodness we grow up!! But, I could almost feel myself walking down the hall of my new high school wishing I could just fade into the color of the lockers and be totally anonymous - I just felt so out of place. The high school that I moved to half way through my junior year was small (in comparison to the one I had come from which was the biggest high school in the state), more rural, and impossibly clickish since most of the kids had grown up together. My first day no one talked to me except the kid who by obligation had to show me around and he was a cowboy. Like a real cowboy - belt buckle, hat, everything... I thought in my teenage angst that I had moved to a different planet, but it was really just another town about 1/2 hour away, in the same state.

And then this book gets into an impossible high school crush fantasy! Its as if that boy, who was so painfully out of your social range, just came up to you and told you how much he LOVED you. Not just liked liked you, but LOVED you, would DIE for you, and oh by the way is also a GORGEOUS uber-vampire who has some kind of unbreakable cosmic connection to you!! Can you believe that! For me that would have been if Nathan B. (who in my memory should have been a Calvin Klein model) came up to me and told me he had a secret crush on me, and was an uber-vampire etc. etc. BTW, I never refered this kid by just Nathan, no, he was so far out of my league that I had to refer to him by his first and last name everytime I talked or thought about him. I was a total Anne Rice freak as a teenager and pictured Louis as this Nathan boy from high school, so that tells you... Wow, I don't know what is possessing me to revel so much about my high school days! Its these books, I tell you!! I would have just devoured them as a teenager, but well I'll be honest, I just devoured these books now :). So if you are wanting to be transported back to those crazy high school days and have all those crazy crush wishes fullfilled vicariously, read these books. (And its very clean young adult fiction, no bad stuff.)

Oh, note to Adrian, sorry about this blog... You're so much more wonderful, better looking, talented, and sweeter than this Nathan B. kid any day... or an uber-vampire for that matter. :) Love ya honey!! :)

4 comments:

Corinne said...

ha ha!!!! i KNEW KNEW KNEW you would love them. sent me right back to high school as well. i love you jenni!!

Cami said...

Man! I've got to read these books. I wish _I_ had talked to you Jenni!! But I was in the loser Sophomore class, so it was not destined to be. Ah well. I love time warps!

Joni said...

I also cringe when I remember some of my stuff from high school. I dyed my hair orange at one point.. sigh. It was accidental. I'd been going for auburn.

Jenni said...

Corinne, you WERE right!!! :)

Cami, I totally wish we were friends in high school (wouldn't that have been crazy?!) And oh, I didn't think sophmores were losers! :)

Joni,I wanted so badly to dye my hair in high school - well actually streak it with maroon but my mom paid me not to :). I really should thank my mom for that!