Saturday, April 07, 2007

Our Spring Break Week

Whew, the biggest part of spring break is over. We still have Monday off of school, but Adrian is taking Monday off for our White House Easter Egg Roll extravaganza (I'll be sure to post), so my solo part of spring break has ended... And I survived. :) I discovered the key to keeping my sanity with Sophie and Ben home together for a week was keeping them busy. It was actually pretty funny because every morning Sophie would say, "So where are we going today?" And then Ben would chime in with a list of suggestion, "Go to mall? Have pretzels? (we pretty much go to Auntie Anne's or Wetzel's every time we go to the mall) Go to bookstore? (which is either Borders or the library), Go to park? Go to church? Go to sunbeams? Go to movie theater?...." and on and on.

We filled the week with a couple playdates, played at the park, walked around a lake near us that has a trail around it, and then when the weather got cold half way through the week we started going to malls and also we went to a neat indoor play place near us. (Here they are at that play place - it had a firetruck and ambulance which was extremely cool to Sophie and Ben.)

If we stayed at home for any extended period of time there would inevitably be shouts, screams, and cries... So and so did this and that... I just don't understand why Sophie and Ben have to antagonize each other so much. I spend so much time asking them to work it out and be nice to one another. I have been told by Adrian that I just don't understand because I didn't have any siblings that were close in age to me. Apparently he totally understands and finds it kind of funny - I think he was a little instigator as a kid!

Well I guess spring break has been a tiny glimpse into what summer has in store... My summer mantra will probably be: "Can't we all just get along?" :)

10 comments:

Lynette said...

Good job keeping them busy...where is that indoor play place, it looks fun!

Jann said...

I remember my mother praying every night that we would get along. We finally did, and my sister, and brother and I are best friends. It took us starting a band (a very bad band) together. So maybe instruments?

Jenni said...

Lynette, its a place called Playwise Kids and it was more expensive than I thought it would be (why do they charge for adults?), but my kids had a great time.

Jann, how fun that you were in a band! I think that's a great idea - Sophie can be keyboards and Ben I'm sure would love to be drums! :)

Spilter said...

Jenni thanks for your comments and putting me on your page. I will have to add you to mine. It is so fun to hear all about your grand adventures. Playwise Kids is that on Dobbin Road? We will have to try it out. Amber

Cami said...

Yes, love the Playwise Kids/Exploraworld. Now that I don't have to watch Jefferson at every moment, it is much more fun to go there. We meant to this week before everyone got sick! Argh. Thank Heaven's spring break is over! Looks like you did really well.

And I fought with many of my siblings, and still do a little. I hated my sister until she moved away, then we became very close. So good luck with that.

ashlee said...

While Bode definitely adores Keegen, he totally harasses him, too. My sister and I pretty much despised each other until she left for college but have been close since (super close since having kids). It's exhausting keeping kids "busy." Sounds like you did a great job doing just that. Love the outings. And hoorah that school is back in session soon! Happy Easter!

Jeri said...

I know that firetruck too well. Wyatt fell off of it when he was 2 1/2.

We go to playwise kids just for the sand room! =) It is too expensive, but a lifesaver on rainy days.

Jenny said...

My siblings and I definitely antagonized each other, the way Ben and Sophie do. I fought constantly with my sister. Now we're best friends, though. I think it helps to not live in the same house (especially the same room) anymore. :)

Julia said...

My mom would always take us to museums and such during the summers. I always thought it was to try to get some culture into us kids, but as I got older I rather think it was just to get us out of the house!!

Corinne said...

I know what you mean about this being a idea of what summer will be like. Let's go to the park A LOT!!