Monday, April 16, 2007

Thoughts

Since this blog is pretty much my journal now I really felt like I should record my thoughts on this day. Today there was a horrible shooting rampage at Virginia Tech. This shooting is now the worst mass shooting in the history of our country, 33 people have died and many were injured by a gunman who in the end turned the gun on himself. I hope this is a record that will never be matched or broken again. It's just too sad... As I hear more details I am horrified and shocked. Doesn't it seem like we're not getting a break here? It seems like there is a new tragedy to try and process every few months and of course with the war going on there are also those casualties to hear about every day. I just wish everyone could see the value of life - their own and the lives of others. I first heard about this massacre today when I was almost on my way to pick up Sophie from school. I was conflicted because I wanted to watch the news so I could know what had happened, but more than anything I felt the need to gather my children together like a mother hen. I can only image what the parents of the kids attending this college were thinking. It scares me that I am raising my sweet children such violent times. I realize that our Heavenly Father has a plan for them as well as me and I cling to this testimony when I am faced with situations such as these. It makes me want to make my home a place of peace and beauty so that my family can have a refuge from the turmoil and ugliness of the world. I was struck by a statement from Kellie's blog a few days ago were she said in effect (sorry to paraphrase, Kellie) that her children crave the stability of a well-kept home, dinner on the table, and milk in the fridge. I loved how she put it and it is so true. I had this same feeling of making my home a refuge after 9/11 and now I'm going to recommit myself to striving towards this goal again.

7 comments:

Mendy said...

I was just looking at my calendar this morning at the looming Columbine anniversary this Friday (my nephew's bday so I always remember it:() and thinking how sad that was and then I heard about VT. I hear what you are saying, Jenni. Our homes have to be havens and refuges for our children; we just can't trust anywhere else to be safe.

Corinne said...

I've been having the same thoughts. I was just minutes ago talking to Clint about that idea that I really don't feel like there is a SAFE place anymore, where I would KNOW that I could be with my children (or send my children) and they would be perfectly safe. I too, want my home to be the haven where we can rejuvinate and provide comfort to each other.

ashlee said...

You and i just wrote basically the same post. Scary world and I hope my home can be a safe haven. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this.

Cami said...

Good thoughts. I was most shocked that it was at a college, rather than a high school. I guess I figure that by the time you graduate, the angst and frustration of teenage years are mostly over, and perhaps the whole desire to shoot everyone in the school is done. So, no, there is no safe place. But we can definitely make our houses as safe as we can, and try not to live in fear.

Jann said...

It is truly a horrible event that has happened. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Cheri J. Meiners, M. Ed. said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I like the idea of trying to make our home a haven--that is an empowering thought in the midst of despair. I felt the same urge to call my children hear from them all.

Kellie said...

Thank goodness we can share like this, and care enough to weep and feel afraid. It is so upsetting to be afraid, but I would rather that in the end than be so inured to it all that it no longer upsets me. I want to continue to be shocked by shocking things so I can be ever more grateful for the people and circumstances that help me to feel peace.