I finished making my pasta salad for recipe swap tonight. I'm hosting the group and the theme is "sensational salads". What happens with the swap is RS sisters come with a prepared dish, in this case salads, and copies of their recipe. Then we get to try all the dishes and take the recipes home. The swap has been so great because you get to taste-test the recipes before you make them yourself AND of course you get to chat while you eat the yummy food. I must say I've gotten some fantastic recipes - Janae's Russian roast is sooo good!! :) I'm so excited to get some more tried and true salad recipes tonight!
I think salads are one of those pot-luck dishes that can become the stuff of family folklore. My family (family of origin) has a macaroni salad that has such great and funny memories attached to it. Every big holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas, 4th of July...) my parents made this huge batch of macaroni salad together and with out fail every year you hear my Dad saying over and over "more mayonnaise!!". Sometimes there are arguments between the 2 of them - my Mom quite frequently doesn't agree with the amount of mayo, pepper, or pickle juice my Dad wants to put in it and vise versa. :) It's hilarious! They always make a special small bowl without shrimp for me and I think my sister Lori?? I love that macaroni salad... I need to take a picture of my parents making it sometime or better yet video it, it's that funny!! :)
For the swap tonight I made Adrian's favorite pasta salad. We call it "Manly Pasta Salad". It's really got a lot of stuff in it like salami and cheese cubes, but the things that make it hot are the cayenne and horseradish. It's definitely got a kick and that makes Adrian happy. I make it for him along with crockpot BBQ ribs almost every Father's day. Since I'm making it for a group of women who may or may not like the "kick" I made it with half the cayenne today.
Below I published the recipes for my family's infamous Macaroni Salad and Manly Pasta Salad.

5 comments:
Oh, it's so sad. I just can't stand mayo. I am a pasta salad party pooper. I love italian-type oil based pasta salad though :)
I'm really going to have to go to recipe swap sometime. That salad looked so good! Our family folklore usually involves cheeseball and too much pepper.
What a fun idea!!! I love it!!! And I love that you posted the recipes!!!! I love getting new recipes, they both sound wonderful!!! I can't wait to make them.
Jenni, thanks so much for hosting Recipe Swap. It was great!
I am so happy you posted the recipes! YUM. I hope more swappers do the same. I was so sad to miss it this month.
I too love recipes...but I have only been collecting for a little over two years.
I love the picture of Adrian with the bowl! =)
Post a Comment