Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Story-Time, Doctors and Speech (with a little guilt thrown in just for fun :))

This morning I actually braved story-time at the library with Ben and Nina and I'm so glad I did. In Ben's usual fashion he pretty much just sat and listened while all the other kids were jumping up and down and clapping their hands, but Nina loved it. She loves watching kids and other babies so story-time was wonderful for her. I'm really going to try to make it a habit since she enjoys it so much and if I keep it up maybe Ben will start liking it too. Its all about familiarity with Ben. We met my friend Kat and her 2 younger kids there and after story-time we all went to the park to play. We've been having gorgeous weather - in the 70's with hardly any humidity, yay!! I wish I would have taken my camera, because little Sarah and Ben are so cute together. When Sarah saw Ben at story-time she ran over and hugged him and yelled, "It's Benjamin!!" Sarah has been over to play a couple of times and she and Ben hardly ever fight over toys which is lovely.

Earlier this week I took Ben and Nina to the pediatrician for their 3 yr and 9mo well child visits. I think I was absolutely insane when I scheduled the appointments at the same time. I guess I was thinking to you know kill 2 birds with 1 stone... Yeah, never going to do that again. Just getting both kids stripped down to the diaper was a feat, but when the nurse tried to get Ben's blood pressure with the cuff thing he had a complete melt down and then Nina in response had her own mini-melt down which was not half as bad as Benjamin's, but I'm sure the patients in the rooms next door assumed the nurse and I were beating them or something from the volume of their screams. By the time the doctor came in I had managed to calm them both down (little Gerber puffs for Nina and promises of playing "I Spy Spooky Mansion" computer game when we got home for Ben).

I talked to the doctor about Ben's speech issues and she agreed that we should have his speech delay evaluated again. He was evaluated last year by the county Infants and Toddlers program, but was judged not to be delayed enough for services. I honestly think he kind of fell through the cracks last year. He was so incredibly stranger shy that he hid under the table from the Infants and Toddlers people for much of the testing. At the time I wasn't allowed to pick him up or carry him because of my crazy pregnancy with Nina, so I kept coaxing him out from under the table and as soon as they would try to talk to him he would run right back under the table... I wish I would have been blogging this time last year, my life was ripe with crazy pregnancy tales and 2 year old strife. I'm sure it would have been a release to blog about it. I digress... Anyways, I'm glad his doctor was understanding and non-judgemental about his speech which validated my choice for switching him to a pediatrician (we had all, except for Nina, been seeing a family practice doctor near us). I can't tell you how many times I was asked by his last doctor if I talked to him and read to him. She was always kind, but made me feel as if I was responsible for his speech delay when ever I brought it up. Of course I talk to him and read to him... But in the back of my mind I've always wondered what I could have done or could do differently to help him talk better and be more comfortable in social situations. Mommy guilt sucks!! Well, I just hope that the evaluation goes better this year. He's doing better with the stranger fear and at least this time I'll be able to physically pull him out if he hides under the table. :)

On the topic of Ben talking, I have to throw in what he said yesterday. A commercial came on TV for the musical Jesus Christ Superstar and Ben yelled, "Look Mom it's Jesus Christ Amen!". I hope that doesn't sound sacreligious to anyone, but I though it was cute. He has recently started ending his prayers with a very clear "in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen" and we're really happy about that. :)

9 comments:

Joni said...

I hear you about the guilt thing! I'm pretty sure that Caleb doesn't talk because he just isn't ready/doesn't want to, but it's hard to feel unsure about it and wonder if I could be doing something differently. It has to be a boy thing. I know so many boys who just don't seem to want to chat! My only hope is that the new baby doesn't talk before he does:) If you end up getting services, I'd love to read a post about what exactly it is they DO.

Mendy said...

Hey, Jenni! I had to volunteer today or we would have gone to Story Time, too. Maybe we'll see you next week.

Don't feel guilty about what might or might not have happened in the past! Little Ben will be fine. At least now you have a doctor who is partnering with you to look into things. That can make all the difference!

Christie said...

I hear you on the guilt. I can't tell you how many other moms have asked about Katies mobility, or lack there of. It makes me wonder if she is just neglected. :-) Well, we love her and I think she knows that, so that is what matters...for her and for Ben. His Prayer story is so cute!

Corinne said...

You're doing great Jenni. Keep us updated. I am SO proud of you for braving storytime. Preston is a maniac in there. Maybe I'll try again but it sorta makes me nervous just thinking about it :)

Cami said...

Oh, Ethan loves Ben. He's so funny. What a cute kid. I hope your evaluation goes well. Good luck!

Unknown said...

WOW-what an ordeal. The guilt thing is not fun. I have had doctors say stuff to us too about different issues. I feel your pain. Don't worry you are a great mom. And I love the commercial comment.

Jann said...

It is such a hard thing as a mom, to see your child having any issue. I hope the evaluation goes well, and you get the answers you are seeking. I have always felt guided in what needed to be done for my kids. Just a very strong confirmation that we are loved. I think the guilt thing is very hard for mothers. We all do it. Even my 78 year old mother still talks about what she could have done differently with her kids.

ashlee said...

Bode just had a preschool eval that he decided he would NOT participate in (frustrating esp since it was a very similar eval as what he did with OT). Anywho--so i had to laugh to picture you trying to coax Ben out...I think yours and mine would be two peas in a pod!

Jeri said...

A little late reading this....

Mommy guilt is the worst. Look on the bright side....I don't think Ben will ever walk up to a little girl at school, and spit on her shoe! (Ducking head, red faced mommy here!)

Love them, that is the best thing we can do.

I have a sweet friend that is a speech therapist...let me know if you ever want her info.