Quick update on a few more recipes. If you are wondering if anything else at all is going on in my life... well yes, but nothing very interesting. Maybe seeing Beowulf last night with Adrian on our date-night was interesting, but it was also horribly icky and violent for a computer animated movie so I wouldn't recommend it at all. So other than that... just the same ol' same ol' hardly blog-worthy stuff and a few new Deceptively Delicious recipes tried. So here's the reviews:
Mashed Potatoes - Hey this is just in time for anyone cooking on Thanksgiving (which doesn't include me - we're going out, but more on that later this week). These potatoes were yummy! I doubled the recipe so I made it with 2 1/2 lbs russet potatoes, 1 cup cauliflower puree, 4 tablespoons trans-fat free margarine, and about 3/4 cup buttermilk. They were good. I couldn't taste the cauliflower and the kids gobbled it up.
Brownies - Alright I'm going to give you the honest truth on these - they tasted like "health food" brownies. They did not taste like your average Betty Crocker mix or my favorite Ghiradelli mix brownies. They were more chewy or maybe the word is spongey and you could tell the chocolate flavor was hiding something and oh it was - 1/2 cup carrot and 1/2 cup spinach puree. It also barely had any flour in it, just 3/4 cup oat flour. Oh, and barely any fat too, just 2 tablespoons trans-fat free tub margarine. I was amazed that they tasted good at all and they did taste okay. On Oprah they said they were "Last Meal Brownies" like you could have one of these brownies and be ready for the firing squad - well that wasn't quite my opinion. I'd much rather have a Mrs. Field's brownie with loads of butter or vegetable oil and sugar in it for my last dessert... Okay, but having said all that we did enjoy them for dessert tonight and the kids loved them. Sophie wants to take one in her lunch box tomorrow and asked that it not have powdered sugar on top, just ah-natural, so that tells you how much she liked it.
As a side note to be fair these brownies only have 133 calories and 3 grams of fiber in each serving, plus a healthy dose of antioxidants also from those hidden veggies. If kids love them how can you argue that it's not a great recipe all around?!!
Sunday, November 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Maybe you should just make the Ghiradelli brownies and put the spinach in. But I'll just take brownies, thanks.
Jenni, you are amazing. I love that you are doing this.
I've been enjoying reading your experiences with these recipes. I have a freezer full of cooked, mashed pumpkin right now but it will all probably be turned into high fat, sugary delicious desserts :)-
You are a maniac! At least we know there are kids in America that are healthy...and they really aren't mine!
wow, jenni, i'm totally impressed with the changes you're making! the making of the purees sounds like a big pain but the payoff sounds great! LOVE that Ben is eating his spinach!!
with all the whole grains and fiber we eat, i refer to my children as "prolific poopers." so, ya, beano is not a bad idea!
I am glad you were honest. I don't think anything can surpass Ghiradelli brownies. But it is always a good sign when your kids want to take something you made in their lunch. Way to go with the healthy eating.
I am so impressed that A) It's working and B) That they actually taste good. I might have to try it!!
Thanks for all the reports, Jenni. Your organizational skills are totally inspiring. You make this system sound do-able, not overwhelming. I may just have to check this out for my Evan.
Post a Comment