
If you remember a little while ago I took a trip to Borders and purchased Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. Well, when I bought it I was still making my way through last months menu and meals so I haven't yet tried any of the recipes, but now I am ready to embark upon a Deceptively Delicious experiment on my family. I am really hoping that the whole hiding-veggie-purees-in-foods-that-kids-like thing works and that they also turn out to be foods that Adrian and I enjoy as well. So I'm going to do updates here on my blog recapping how it all works out for us.
The book is set up in a really clever way were Jessica first introduces her family and what their food likes and dislikes are. For a cookbook, it was really quite a funny read. SO, I thought I'd totally steal that idea and introduce my own "kitchen cabinet" as she calls it.
Jenni - Hi I'm Jenni and this is my "Kitchen Cabinet", my all-important staff and advisers (just had to steal Jessica's lines:)). My 3 children are going to be my official Deceptively Delicious recipe tasters and
I am sure they are going to be very tough critics (especially taster #2). Wish me luck as I try to trick them (and their dad too) into eating more veggies and fruits.Oh, but as far as my own taste preferences - I think I'm a great eater. I love vegetables. I love fruit. I love carbs and junk too and that's the stuff I really need to do better at limiting. Oh, if only I hated chocolate and hamburgers. But as far as things I don't like, the only thing is fish/seafood. I even wish I liked fish, but no matter what I do it seems too fishy for me. Adrian seriously wishes I could change this because I think his idea of a perfect date would be to go to a movie and sushi bar. My big loves as far as good-for-you-foods are avocado, asparagus and mushrooms - so the mushroom and asparagus fajitas at Chevy's are right up my alley. Yum!
Taster #1 Sophie, our oldest, is 8 years old and she is my best eater
Taster #2 Ben, our middle child, is 3 1/2 years old and my tough
Taster #3 Nina, our youngest, is 15 months and a pretty good eater. I am real
ly hoping she keeps up her eating habits, but then again at this age Taster #2 was eating green beans like they were french fries, so I realize things can change. She loves fruits and has a couple veggies that she will eat - frozen peas and corn. Her favorite foods are plain pasta, pieces of meatballs, cold cereal (especially Special K and Cheerios), and bits of apple or peach. It is very hard to get her to eat green veggies with the exception of frozen peas and I did get her to eat an asparagus tip yesterday, but it was because she was looking away when I put it in her mouth.Taster #4 Adrian, my husband, is a great eater and very supportive at di
nner time telling the kids to be nice and eat whatever mommy has made. He loves spicy foods, so he is my taste antithesis, but I try to make him spicy things on special occasions. He hates anything that resembles Hamburger Helper, even if it's just a casserole with hamburger and a sauce in it. Adrian will always say any meal I have prepared tastes great, but the true test is if he will take the leftovers to work for lunch. Through this test I have surmised that he is not a huge fan of soups or casseroles - though he always claims certain things just don't reheat well, but I'm not buying it Babe.:) In general I think Adrian is a protein and carb lover so I am on this quest to get him to eat more veggies too.(BTW, the pictures of me and Adrian are of eating the most fantastic peach pie we have both ever had at the Hub restaurant in Heber, Ut. I swear that pie's special ingredient must have been cocaine because after one bite we were both hooked and went back twice in a 3 day period just to have another slice. We took pictures with Adrian's camera phone just to document the wonderful pie-eating experience!)
Soon I'll be doing my big shopping trip (I also have to buy a food processor), writing up my menu, and making my purees, so stay tuned for the next "DD" post.

16 comments:
excellent! i'm excited to hear how it goes - and whether i should invest in the cookbook as well. :) our picky eaters could use a veggie boost as well.
Yay! I have 3 taster #3s (or whatever Benjamin was). Also, I'm with you on the taste antithesis--Jake loves spicy and I just can't do it. I'm excited to see how this works out for you. I need a food processor too. That peach pie sounds fabulous, and good luck to you.
How fun. If Ben wants to come eat with us I have plenty of Mac&Cheese and sweets for him. I'm like your hubby, I love the spicy food. I hope your meal times are more peaceful!
So, this post is very good because I just put this book on hold for myself at the library!! Good fun to read, I loved it :) Can't wait to see how it turns out!!
Too funny! I am feeling guilty for not even trying the veggie thing with my kids. I need to start with myself!
I can't wait for the next DD post. I want to get that cookbook, but my brain never remembers that when I am out. Love the post, it was really cute.
Well Jenni, as Adrian's sister I hate Hamburger Helper as well. I think we ate too much of the stuff when we were kids. So next time you guys are in SLC we should go to Ichaban's for sushi.
the best of luck to you on your quest i can wait to read how it all turns out. And if you like I have a food processor that Kevin bought for me 2 years ago at Christmas and I rarely use it. If you like I'd be willing to part with it for $10. :)
Oh, I can't wait to hear how it goes.
"Adrian will always say any meal I have prepared tastes great, but the true test is if he will take the leftovers to work for lunch."
That sounds kind of like a husband I have :)
Ooh, looking forward to more news from the Kitchen Cabinet! Ben sounds just like my niece Malena... maybe my sister needs a new cookbook for Christmas...
yeah, you let me know how this works out. I have pretty good eaters (except Makynlee who eats exactly NOTHING.) I would love to know if it works on your pickiest.
Awesome book! Let me know how it goes. I thought that was so funny what you said about sea food. That is exactly how I feel about it. I really would love to like it, and I try it quite often, but every time I wonder why I did... hmmm...
Good luck!
I still have a taster #2. I hope this works out well for you. I love the way you wrote about it. Keep sharing the fun!
great post! curious for a followup!
You are amazing!!
Post a Comment