My pic for the month of November is Norman Rockwell's Freedom From Want, from his 4 Freedoms series during WWII. I absolutely love Rockwell. One of my first solo art book purchases was a big Rockwell book. He just makes me feel happy and nostalgic even though I didn't grow up in the 40's, it's just that his art embodies a certain kind of optimistic innocence that is beautiful. I also remember that the walls of my family's favorite restaurant when I was young, Spires, decked out in Rockwell prints. One print that Spires had up was the funny family tree that starts out with an all American family down at the bottom and them branches out in to all sorts of craziness with a pirate and let's say "lady of the night" on one branch. It's hilarious. I know that high-brow art historians don't consider Rockwell to have been an important point in art, but I think his art is relate-able and thought worthy.Oh, and another reason for using Freedom From Want is that Sophie used it as her visual aid this month when she gave a talk in primary. Her topic was showing love for the Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ through gratitude. She did a great job with her talk and found a new interest in my big Rockwell art book, so that makes me happy.

1 comment:
I like Rockwell too. Clint has the one of a Scoutmaster hanging on our bedroom wall. The kids think it's Clint. I have a print of the Freedom from Fear one and it makes me teary sometimes.
Post a Comment