Monday, December 10, 2007

Appointments Galore and a Realization

I finally sent out all of our Christmas cards today - yay!! I usually try to get them out a bit earlier than this, but last week was a little hairy... Ben had his stitches, but then he pulled out 2 of the stitches 2 days later, so we had to take him back to the doctor... It all ended up fine, the gash had already healed enough that he didn't need to have it restitched thank goodness. Then Nina had a well-child visit last Friday, which turned into a sick-child visit because we found out she had an ear infection and her reactive airway coughiness was acting up again so no immunizations for her, but back on the nebulizer and Xopenex she went. We have to take her back into the doctor this week when she gets better for her immunizations. And on top of that I had a dentist visit, I had to have 2 fillings which I was happy were not root canals because the cavities were apparently really deep - I've never had a root canal, but they don't sound fun. Oh, and then I had to take Ben back to the doctor today to have the last stitch removed and Adrian has his dentist visit for fillings on Wednesday. I am so sick of doctors, dentists, co-pays, and especially waiting rooms at the moment. I really think I just need to expect a couple of doctors visits a week for the next few months and then when we have a non-sick week it can be a pleasant surprise.:)

Oh, I have to write about a realization that struck me while I was waiting for my dentist appointment. I AM OLD. Let me explain. I was listening to the Eclipse audio-book on my i-Pod so I must have been in a teenage sensitive frame of mind (the main character in that book is full of teen drama) when I noticed this... There was a young woman there waiting for her appointment for a filling with her boyfriend - I'm guessing they were maybe 17? and he had to have skipped school to take her to the dentist appointment. Anyways, they were very teenage mushy-ish, holding hands as she talked about how frightened she was of having this filling done. I thought they were very cute actually, kinda like Lloyd Dobler and Diane Court sitting on the plane in the last scene of Say Anything. Cute. Then she and I were called back at the same time to see different dentists and the boyfriend asked if he could come hold her hand during the filling. They said yes and we all pretty much walked back together with the dental assistant - me to a cubical right next to the mushy teenagers.

I had my fillings done trying to block out the whole experience by listening to Eclipse turned up very loud. I have a huge dentist phobia and have totally looked into sedation dentistry, but haven't found a practice that does that within our DMO and I'm sure that's pretty expensive without insurance. My dentist is really nice and everything, but there is just something to me about the sound and vibration of the drill that is nerve-racking. So after I finish up with my fillings and half of my face is completely numb (I could not actually feel the i-Pod headphone in my ear anymore, but I knew it was there cause I could still hear Bella ranting :)) and I'm all shaky from being stressed out, who do I see come out of the cubical next to mine, but the mushy teenagers. He held her hand and talked to the front desk person and paid her copay for her and led her carefully out the door. Then it's my turn and I'm still all shaky as I write my check and try in vain to make my mouth work to answer the simple receptionist's questions like "Can you tell me your check number?" I couldn't make my mouth form the numbers to save my life!:) Okay, so at this point the teenagers weren't quite so cute anymore... They were completely annoying because I was totally jealous!:) I remember being young... I had a high school boyfriend when I was that age who would have doted on me like that and I know that when we just met Adrian would have been just as cute with me and put all teenage boyfriends to shame with his thoughtfulness... But now I'm old. I'm a mom. And I just don't have time or the need (even though I was a bit jealous:)) for that level of mushiness anymore. There's no way that Adrian could come with me to a simple filling appointment no matter how phobic I am because that would mean some serious child care arrangements and taking off time from work etc. etc. You just suck it up and take care of things.

So it was at the dentist office that I truly came to the realization that I'm old. Oh well, there are a lot of benefits to being old having left that season of teenagerhood behind long ago. And believe me I would never want to be 17 again - high school sucked - but every once in a while wouldn't it be nice to feel like the world revolved around you for just a moment like it felt when you were 17?? Maybe that's part of why I love those darn Twilight books so much!:)

10 comments:

Christie said...

I had this same realization the other day.... You put it so well. I agree with you fully. I think that is Why I like those books too. It takes you back... just for a moment. :-)

Kellie said...

Aren't those realizations strange? You handled it well, I must say. Very philosophical, yet practical about the whole thing. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE Say Anything! I actually hadn't seen the movie but liked the Peter Gabriel song and someone told me about the movie and it has become a total favorite.

Meg said...

I really feel for you Jenni! I hate feeling the vibration of the drill when I get fillings and I've had a lot. I had a root canal once but it was nothing compared to the pain I was in before I had it done.

Cami said...

Oh Jenni, you'll always be young and full of angst to me! Also, yes, Say Anything is awesome. I love the movie, I love the soundtrack, I love the whole dang thing. Why is it?

Jeri said...

I had the same realization...but not because of smoochy smoochy teenagers. =)

I hate the dentist too. I think I will be okay, but then I walk in and the smell just kills me! What is that smell? Ugh!! I am glad you made it out of there. =)

Julia said...

You just suck it up and take care of things

You said it, sister. I've had to do everything by myself for the last 20 years. I would love to have someone come hold my hand, but there just isn't anyone. All my friends have kids, or live too far away, so I just suck it up. I have to kill all my own bugs, too.

I really hate my life sometimes.

Deb said...

i hear you, jenni. i was reminiscing with a high school friend this week and realized how many years it had been since high school and how close we are to our 20th reunion and about choked.

those self-centered days had their perks, didn't they?

Anonymous said...

I've had a root canal and wanted to hug the dentist when he was done because he got rid of some awful pain I was having. We need to have a girls' movie night of watching Say Anything!

Jann said...

Sedation dentistry is the only way to go. I just can't do it any other way.

Joni said...

Some guys were cutting the hedge outside the house and it was really cold so I went out there and offered them some hot chocolate. Then I realized that is what my mom would have done and that I had all grown up! (You'd think having three babies would have made me realize that too.)

I totally agree with what Julia quoted. And I actually thought my root canal was easier to deal with than having my cavities filled -- no drilling! Just lots of needles and poking around. And more money:)