Monday, December 03, 2007

'Tis the Season

I think I should move my whiny post down and do a happy post about some seasonal happenings around our home. About a week ago we put up our tree and we all had a fun time trimming it. Here's a couple pics:

(Our Nina has started doing the silliest little smile whenever you say cheese, isn't it funny?!)

Also, over the weekend we made lots of caramels to give to our neighbors for Christmas. It was my first time ever making candy, but I really enjoyed it! I got my recipe from Cami (thanks!!) and it worked out great - well after the first batch... The first batch of anything doesn't really count, right?! I've come to the conclusion that I really enjoy cooking, much more than baking and candy making is more of a cooking type of thing. I was surprised by how satisfying it was to watch the candy bubbling away in the pot. And it made the house smell yummy. Bonus. Sophie even got involved and became a master at wrapping the little caramels in wax-paper. She is hoping that making caramels will be an annual event, though Adrian thinks candy making is a lot more work than giving hot cocoa mixes to the neighbors!:)

Now I just have to really get on mailing out the Christmas cards. We got our first card in the mail today and I thought - "Oh shoot, I knew I was forgetting to do something!" We have most of the stuff all ready, we have our cards and I bought Christmas stamps, but now it's time to sit down and write the newsletter. It seems like this time of year is so busy, but I love all the traditions and rituals of the season, like Christmas cards. It's so nice to keep in touch with friends and family and feel the Christmas spirit through all the small little things that make this time of year wonderful.

9 comments:

Deb said...

way to get into the christmas spirit! making candy scares me.

i just remembered christmas cards today too! it had totally dropped off my list. now it's back on...

Cami said...

The carmels were great! This is the first year I got it right on my first batch. Usually it takes me three or so. So great job!!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing. Maybe one day I'll attempt to make candy, in the meantime I buy it at the store. Yours were delicious! And even delivered in the rain. What a great husband you have!

Mendy said...

We've been enjoying our caramels, Jenni! Thanks. I love that Sophie is wearing the Santa hat while trimming the tree.

Christie said...

Sounds like fun. I always get nervous when I make candies and end up with soft candies, too soft to section, so good for you in getting them right. What fun.

Anonymous said...

OH man, I have the yummiest easiest recipe for carmels in the microwave...I have had a ton of success with it and I am NOT a cook either! Maybe I will try and remember to send it to you.

Amber said...

Jenni I am so glad you made the carmels and they worked. I can't wait to make some too. I wish we could trade I'll bake you cook!:-)

Your family looks so cute putting up the ornaments. I love this time of year!

Corinne said...

That was a very cheery holiday post. THANKS :)

Jeri said...

I wish my house smelled like yours! Yum.

I love Nina's cheese face...too funny!