Happy New Year!!
I can't believe it's already the 9th of January 2008.
Sophie's Recital
Also Sophie had her piano recital on Dec. 30th and it was great. She played "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" and did a really good job. Yay Sophie!!
Speech
Here's the part of the catch up that's been most stressful for me. SPEECH. Nina's speech. Back at her 12 month check up the doctor was really worried that she didn't babble very much and at that point I was just like "whatever, she's fine". I didn't want to worry about speech at only 1 year old. Then at her 15 month check up the doctor was even more worried that she only had one word (Daddy or "Da - eeee" - congratulations Adrian:)) and was still not babbling a whole lot, so after much urging from her pediatrician, who even wrote the county Infants and Toddler's number on a prescription slip and all but made me promise I would call, I called the Infants and Toddlers program to have her evaluated. This was a hard step for me. As you all probably know I've had ups and downs with Ben and speech issues. He's been evaluated 3 times, but never was delayed enough to qualify for services and sometimes the evaluators were not "gentle" in there evaluations. And so that all made me not want to start again with Nina... She's so little and it's hard for me to even believe she's old enough to be talking at all... I'm sure that's partly due to my denial that my baby is actually a toddler! Crazy!
Anywho, back to the speech story - Infants and Toddlers came out and did the initial evaluation and then because they saw that there were some issues they scheduled a formal eval. The biggest "issue" that the evaluator saw was that Nina should respond to her name much more than she did during the initial evaluation and I've been worried about this too. Nina hardly ever turns toward you when you say her name. I used to think she was ignoring me and she didn't want to stop doing whatever she was doing. The evaluator tried to get her to respond to her name several times and she never did until the woman touched her shoulder and then she looked at her. I do worry about that and she is scheduled for a hearing test this week. So after that initial eval a formal evaluation was scheduled and that was last Friday.
The formal evaluation went as well as I could hope. Nina was in a really good mood and played with the speech therapist as long as I was very close to her. The hardest part for me was dealing with all the questions (that they have to ask as part of the evaluation) like - do you read to Nina? do you interact with her in a happy and excited voice? do you sing to her? I do these things. It's just the questions themselves, it's like if I just did these things more or better she would be talking. Like they are asking how big of a role I, as her mother, have played in her speech delay and that just makes me weary. Guilt. Lots of it. But the therapists were really nice and at the end when they looked over all the forms and charts it came out that Nina is delayed by more than 25% and has qualified for services. One of the speech therapists wanted to wait another 2 months to evaluate her again, but the other one said, "No, she's delayed. Let's start services now." They proceeded to have a discussion amongst themselves (kind of a quiet argument which was a little uncomfortable) and then both said to me that they wanted to start speech therapy as soon as possible. So there it is.. I figure speech therapy can't hurt anything, it can only help and if she has a "language explosion" in the next couple of months which can happen to kids her age with speech delays, then great... They'll stop services and it'll all be good. But for now she'll have speech therapy in our home and I'm happy about it.
So here's the good and the bad of the whole speech thing right now. The bad - having to embark on another journey through SPEECH stuff. Dang. But you do what you gotta do. Then the other bad thing about the whole "speech thing" is the reaction I get from others when I tell them Nina has a delay or is going to have speech therapy. Some people, especially friends have been wonderful and supportive (thank you, thank you, kind friends!), but then you also get 2 other reactions:
Hard to deal with reaction #1 - You must be crazy, why on earth are you worried about your 17 month old's speech, let her be a baby, you are over-reacting, don't worry she'll catch up on her own.
Hard to deal with reaction #2 - (I've already touched on this and I will say this is more from her pediatricians and the speech therapists) She only has 1 word?! Do you talk to her? play games with her? read to her? Maybe you should try teaching her signs and reading to her more... etc. etc.
Both of these reactions are very very hard. On the one hand I want to say, hey I'm not crazy, I don't want to have to worry about my 17 month old's development. Believe me it's a lot of work to try to get her to sign or make a sound before I give her a sippy cup of milk or a graham cracker. I wish I didn't have to do it. Sometimes she cries and throws tantrums when I try to get her to make a sound before giving her whatever she wants. And I want her to be happy and just give her the dang cookie or cup of milk, but it's important for me to encourage her to speak. And sometimes you don't feel in the mood to narrate the whole day...
"Nina, now we're putting on your socks! Socks, socks, socks. Look at your white socks! Do you like your white socks? One sock. On it goes. There you go. One sock is on one foot. Cute little footie! Let's put your other sock on. One sock, two socks, on it goes. Now you have 2 white socks on! Are your feet all warm now?! Nice sockies. You have such cute little feet Nina! Now Mommy's going to put on your shoes...."
Let me tell you it's really fun to narrate like that for like a couple days and then you just want to put the shoes on quickly and not have to worry about talking about everything in a happy exaggerated voice. But that's what I need to do so I do it and try to have fun with it. Sometimes she giggles when I talk to her and that's fun and encouraging. Okay and this leads to why "hard to deal with reaction #2" is so hard - because sometimes I don't feel like justifying all the things I do all day to encourage speech. It's wearisome to say, "No, I really do read to her and talk to her and play with her," in a way in which they will believe and validate all the work that I'm doing at home... Yes, as you can see lots of baggage and I'm just letting it all spew forth - sorry. I really don't mean to whine and that is why I'm going to cut right to the good part, the wonderful thing about this whole speech issue with Nina in the next paragraph.
Through this particular trial and stress that I am in the midst of right now I have felt peace. My friend Corinne taught a wonderful lesson in Relief Society on Sunday about feeling peace and I must say going through this has made me realize how important it is to have perspective and faith. I truly have felt peace and I know that it is a blessing from my Heavenly Father. I feel an incredible love for Nina. I know without a doubt that my little Nina was meant to come to our family and I love her absolutely the way she is. What ever trials we encounter in this life I believe are part of our plan and we should do our best to weather every storm large or small. This may be just one small little drizzle as far as a storm, because in all other ways Nina is a healthy and sweet little girl and I really feel peace that we can handle her speech issue. It may take some tantrums to try to get her to talk or months of speech therapy, who knows, but whatever it is I know I love her and I wouldn't wish for her to be anything or anyone other than Nina. Peace is a wonderful thing and I am thankful for a loving God and Savior who have helped me to feel it.
(This is a recent favorite pic of Nina. She loves apples as you can see. That little smile melts me!)
Through this particular trial and stress that I am in the midst of right now I have felt peace. My friend Corinne taught a wonderful lesson in Relief Society on Sunday about feeling peace and I must say going through this has made me realize how important it is to have perspective and faith. I truly have felt peace and I know that it is a blessing from my Heavenly Father. I feel an incredible love for Nina. I know without a doubt that my little Nina was meant to come to our family and I love her absolutely the way she is. What ever trials we encounter in this life I believe are part of our plan and we should do our best to weather every storm large or small. This may be just one small little drizzle as far as a storm, because in all other ways Nina is a healthy and sweet little girl and I really feel peace that we can handle her speech issue. It may take some tantrums to try to get her to talk or months of speech therapy, who knows, but whatever it is I know I love her and I wouldn't wish for her to be anything or anyone other than Nina. Peace is a wonderful thing and I am thankful for a loving God and Savior who have helped me to feel it.

19 comments:
Oh Jenni! You are a GREAT mom...you should'nt feel bad or guilty at all!!! I totally understand about not wanting to narate your entire day. I tried that for about one day when Carson was little and I drove myself batty! Like you said, speach therapy can't hurt and who knows maybe Nina will bust out and start saying all sorts of stuff soon. Just don't feel bad about yourself...you're great!
Hi Jenni!
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your comment. We're just getting the hang of blogging. It looks like you had a wonderful New Year. We hope everything goes well with Nina's speech therapy.
Miriam & David
I read this with great interest. Just going through a little bit of the "speech thing" with Caleb makes me appreciate what you're describing all the more. I know EXACTLY what you mean about all the questions on talking, reading, interacting, etc. I felt incompetent and guilty at times. But then I just reminded myself that they didn't know me at all and they see so many people and they have to assume nothing. I'm pretty dang sure that they can get a vibe for what kind of home a child lives in after talking with a mom for a few minutes. Is she well spoken, etc.? I'm positive they know pretty quickly that you are an involved, attentive mother!
Jenni, I had to wait for a peaceful moment around here to read and respond to your post. I really wanted to read your post and really listen. I think you are amazing, you have done so well at being positive and I can't even imagine how you feel being cross examined like that. I have heard you and seen you with your children and i know that you are wonderful. Each of these little ones comes with their own personalities and agendas, I suppose we have to roll with them eh? I have a friend who didn't say a word until he was 3 yrs old and the first thing he said was while he was riding his bike and his mom told him to come inside. He said "Ride bike outside one more time please." His mom says that he knew how to talk, just nothing was important enough to talk about until you tried to get him off his bike. :-)
Jenni,
I know I've shared my stories re the unpleasant evaluation/testing process with Gavin.
I just want to send a big hug to you, along with my admiration, of you as a mother, a woman, and a wonderful friend. You are such a positive, thoughtful person.
Jenni - this was an amazing post. You are so reflective and such a loving and persistent mother. I can't imagine how challenging it was to realize you had to fight this battle AGAIN with Nina. Your children are seriously SO BLESSED to have you as a mommy, and I am so blessed to have you as a friend :)
Oh Jenni, I can relate in a way. I haven't had to go through speech delay with my kids, but they just can be so quiet and I have to encourage them to talk. I really don't talk a whole lot, so I basically have to make myself think about talking to them, so they will talk! It gets so annoying sometimes and it hurts when people tell me how quiet my kids are because it isn't a quality that people respect so much in our day. I know how you feel! Hang in there and remember that you are not alone!
Nina is a sweet little girl, and whatever happens I'm sure it will be fine. Don't worry about what the doctors or therapists say or ask, you are her mommy and you know what's best (and if you don't, prayer can really help). And don't forgo the power of the priesthood either. You are a great mommy, don't let anyone tell you different!
I so appreciated your comment in Relief Society. You are a wonderful mom, and you are right, you and Nina were meant for each other.
Hugs to you Jenni! You are such an inspiration to me. I think the world of you! I am sure everything will work out for the best very soon. I love the picture of Nina...what a little spunk! =) You already received a lot of good advice, so I will just say I love you, and keep your chin up!
This brings back so many memories for me. I completely understand the frustration. It is hard to deal with other's reactions, especially when you want to scream, this is my child, and I love her and would do anything for her. Thank you for sharing what I know is a very tough thing. You are a wonderful mother.
You are a great mom and Nina is lucky to have such caring parents. We are all hear for you if you need anything!
((hugs))
You are totally supermom! Good job. If it makes you feel any better at all, BriAnna didn't say TWO words until she was 18 months. No babbling, nothing. Then one day out of the clear blue sky, she was sticking the refrigerator magnet alphabet up on fridge and spat out "I think I lost my i." We looked at her totally stunned...her i? Then she proceeded to point out the j, m, s, and r but no i. The kid was a genius but spent all her time up until that point just "processing" her world. I have been told that they either do verbal or physical things. One or the other just usually not at the same time. I am not therapist or dr. but I am in the...it will happen when they are ready kind of mode. So if you have one of those days when you just don't want to narrate all day...take a break and give yourself a little credit! You are doing a great job and don't let the pro's give you crap!
seriously, motherhood is a HUGE guilt inducer and i'm sorry other people are encouraging you to feel that way! believe me, i have plenty of stories about insensitivity myself....
i know you're making prayerful, thoughtful decisions about your kids' welfare. they are lucky to have you!
Jenni,
I think I know what you are going through. It is hard, draining work to be a mom, but you are doing a great job! Nina is lucky to have such a great, supportive family.
Jenni, I feel your pain. How many times did someone say "can't you just teach him a sign for . .. " bla bla bla. Please people. Do you think I'm just sitting around in silence with my children? I am doing the best I can! And I know you are too. Oh, the frustration of mealtimes with the narration. I think you are doing great. And I for one can tell you that it all ends and it's all worth it. Let me know if you need a break and I'll withhold banana slices until she makes a sound for it.
I'm so sorry, sometimes I just wish that doctors would throw out the textbooks and look at the individual child! It has to be pretty rough, and frustrating. I think you are a good mom, and with a wonderful perspective on life. Hang in there!
Jenni this was such a great post. So many of us have gone through this in one way or another. I've been through the whole speech delay evals too, and also felt as you do. Seeing it all now I know that there wasn't anything different I could have done when she was a baby. I was really into linguistics when Rowan was born so I babbled at her constantly waiting for that first word and waited and waited. Now of course, like everyone says, I can't keep her quiet. She does still have to expend some effort to describe complex events in an extremely clear way but so do many other children her age, actually so do I. Rowan was just above the level to qualify for speach therapy so I chickened out. In retrospect I think it would have helped her, just as say a speech class could help any of us. Thank you for blogging this and reminding us all that in the large scheme of things, things like this really aren't a big deal, even if people's jobs depend on telling us they are. Sorry for the long comment.
Post a Comment