Friday, January 18, 2008

A Good Snow Day

Yesterday it snowed!! We have been having the weirdest weather around here lately and I was actually so happy to see some real winter stuff on the ground. The kids had a blast playing with Adrian in the snow yesterday and I actually got to take a nap, cause Adrian decided to take a half-day off work. A lot of people at his work leave when it starts to snow - all you in the West must think that's crazy - but snow really does slow things down around here. So Adrian picked up Sophie from her half-day at school and came home to spend the afternoon playing in the snow with the kids, drinking hot cocoa and munching on popcorn. It was a fun family day and we ended up having spaghetti and meatballs (the kids fave) for dinner and playing a game of Sorry with the kids before bed. There was barely any whining the whole day, which is a miracle really, and I think only 1 time-out if I remember right. After the kids went to bed Adrian and I watched an episode of "Mystery" together and played Lost Cities. I would say it was our best day of the new year, so yay for that!!

Today we've been taking it easy so far. Nina is still taking her morning nap right now and I'm thinking we're going to try to get out and do something when she wakes up. Sophie and Ben have school and preschool off today and I'm thinking a trip to the mall for pretzels and play in the play area might be in order. I thought of taking them all to a movie, but my courage is waning... Hmmmm, if the mood strikes me right who knows if I might just be crazy enough to give it a try... I'm sure they'll be a follow up blog on that if I do attempt it.

Update: We did go to the mall, but the mood never struck me right to go to a movie. I'm thinking I'll wait till Nina's a little older to go 3 on 1 in a quiet movie theater. Instead we played in the play area, had pretzels, and got some amazing deals on snow boots and snow pants at the Children's place - gotta love their "Monster" sale. The sizes I got will hopefully be a little on the big size this year and also fit the kids next year - it's not worth it to me to just buy snow clothes for one year since we don't get a whole lot a snow. The mall just opened up a new wing with a Pottery Barn and a bunch of neat new stores. I looked in the windows at Pottery Barn, but everything in there looked far to breakable so I didn't actually venture into the store with my brood. For the most part everyone had a nice day out (Nina did get a little fussy towards the end of our excursion) and right now I'm trying to think up an activity for Martin Luther King Day. I'm so happy that Adrian will be home on Monday for the holiday too. Maybe we'll try a museum or something...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am with you on the movie thing...I tried it a few years back it was disasterous...thus I don't do it alone ever anymore. We rarely take all of them to a movie anyway. Now that we have the built in babysitter, we enjoy leaving them home.

Anonymous said...

oh an seriously? leaving work for snow? Give me a break! Life does NOT stop for snow here in the west. We have over 3 feet in the yard and not one snow day.

Cami said...

You are so brave to take your kids out to the mall! I would never attempt it. Sounds like a lovely snow day. I especially love DAD's taking kids out in the snow. I trekked out to see them for about 3 minutes and then came right on back in!

Christie said...

what mall were you at? I am trying to think of one that has a play place, and a childrens place??? and a pottery barn? Do tell

Jenny said...

I quite miss those Maryland snow days. It was rather nice to have Matt home from work so much in the winter. Here in Denver, it takes a blizzard to get a snow day.

Deb said...

the snow was fun, wasn't it? g was in virginia that day, so i let them play for a while after school, even though everyone was ready for naps. i'm glad i delayed though because the snow barely lasted to play in the next morning! but it was fun while we had it.

i've never taken all 3 boy to the mall at once. way too scary. you are so brave. :)