I was tagged by Miriam to do this fun meme, so here it goes...
10 Years Ago: I was a newly-wed of 5 months, a full-time student at BYU in art history and a part-time teller at First Security Bank. These were special times in my life. We lived in a tiny little house that was infested with spiders and had cracked windows... Oh that house was so cold in the winter and sweltering hot in the summer. But it did have a fireplace which we fired up at least twice a week to keep warm... So 10years ago, as of right now (8:20pm), I had probably come home from work about an hour ago, had grilled cheese sandwiches and chicken noodle soup with Adrian for dinner (that was a typical dinner for us then, either that or Arby's) and was curled up on the couch with a blanket doing homework listening to the crackling of the fire and Adrian typing away doing his computer science homework in the other room. I'm sure at the time I felt stressed and all that, but now I look back on those days and think of just how sweet and wonderful they were.
5 Things on my to-do list today:
1. Register Ben for preschool this fall. (Check, I got to the preschool early this year and was number 16 in line to register - yay! It was a no-stress registration and Ben is all set to be in a great 3-day 4 year old class in the fall.)
2. Return a couple things to Michael's and get a few frames for new picture arrangement on the buffet in the dining room. (Check. Honestly I'm lucky Nina didn't break anything in there - she is so grabby lately, but all things she grabbed and knocked off shelves ended up being non-breakable, thank goodness. Oh she also started pinching Ben's fingers whenever he put his hand on the cart, which is the rule - one hand on cart at all times for Ben. Ben of course kept saying "Ouch, Ouch, Nina no pinch!" I had to keep pulling her hands away from him. Oh, she is getting so naughty! I can't believe the sibling rivalry on Nina's part is starting so early!:))
3. Go to Target and buy a birthday present for Ben's preschool friend's party this Sat. (Check. I also ended up getting a lot more stuff - like the kids' valentines, cereal, eggs, etc. etc. and a pair of baby sunglasses that Nina grabbed and broke before I could pry them out of her little fists.)
4. Go to our dentist for them to fill out a dental form for Sophie's school. (Check. This was annoying. I realize it's important for schools to track whether or not a child is getting dental care, but does the form really need the dentist's signature - don't they trust parents to tell them the truth if their child has been to the dentist in the last year?? I guess they don't. Oh well. It was pretty painless to have the dentist fill out the form, just another round of getting kids out and into car seats again.)
5. Mail 2 packages. (Didn't do. I went to the drive through post office and everything, but they were only excepting cash, and of course I had none, so instead of braving the post office proper with all 3 kids at this point I decided to ditch this to-do item today.)
Snacks I enjoy: apples, string cheese, cheese-its, and now for the bad ones: brownies, and chocolate, chocolate, chocolate.
Things I would do if I were a billionaire: Travel lots, buy some wonderful art pieces, do some good with it. Buy my mom a Porsche! And Adrian too, but if I were a billionaire then I'm just assuming Adrian bought a Porsche back when we were millionaires.:)
3 of my bad habits:
1. biting my nails
2. staying up way too late
3. diet Coke - which by the way I've cut way back on, but when I do fall off the wagon I am a diet Coke junkie
5 jobs I have had/ My first Job Experience:(I think I did this in a meme a little while ago so I'm going to change it up and do my first job experience.)
The first time I got paid to do a job other than babysitting, was working over a spring break when I was 16 at Albertson's giving out samples. A man in our ward hired a bunch of young women to help out just for a week or so. I gave out little mini Wonder Bread loaves and man they were popular. I realized just how much people love free stuff during this spring break.
5 things people don't know about me:
1. One of my most EMBARRASSING moments was during a big auditorium Biology 100 class. I was a brand new freshman at BYU and I was sitting one of the front rows because couldn't see the writing on the over-head projector from further back in the auditorium. I got glasses about 2 months into my college education. Anyways, one day because I was up so close to were the professor was I ended up being asked a couple questions and had microphone handed to me while the whole auditorium quieted and waited for my answers. Here's how it went:
Professor: "Have you read The Old Man and the Sea by Earnest Hemingway?"
Me (very nervously into the microphone): "Yes."
Professor: "What an amazing book...Tell me in one word what that book was about."
Me (I completely blanked out and I was overwhelmed by everyone listening to me in this huge and abnormally quiet auditorium.) : "um....sharks...."
Professor and ENTIRE AUDITORIUM: "Hahahahahahah....!!!!"
The professor laughed and then moved on to the next person who of course answered "endurance" and I totally knew that, but well it was a bad moment for me and I felt like a intellectual loser for many weeks following that. It was then I decided to get glasses so I could move out of the question answering range.
2. I love many Patsy Cline song. "Walking After Midnight" is a particular fave, but "You Belong to Me" and "I've Got Your Picture" are lovely too.
3. I watch the new vampire show "Moonlight" but am hoping they get some more funding and that the writing gets better soon... You can only go so far with a bunch of beautiful actors saying bad lines while sitting on Ikea furniture.
4. I love the board game Lost Cities.
5. I am really getting into politics lately and have enjoyed watching the debates and news coverage - before I found it all annoying, but right now it all seems so exciting and different than past presidential elections.
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
fun, jenni! your embarrassing moment was hilarious - in retrospect, i'm sure! but it did get you to the optometrist, so it's not all bad, right? :) i think i would have said sharks, too, under pressure like that. :)
This was so fun to read! I had a professor roll his eyes at my answer once. Those kind of things stick with you! Since I've never read that book I don't know why "sharks" is funny, but I'm guessing it was!
I can't believe they make you do a dentist form. One extra round of carseats is just killer.
I so hear you about 'Moonlight'! I'm still watching too, but only because the guy is so dang gorgeous!
That made me laugh so hard! I remember those moments in college. I felt so bad for the poor souls who got asked those kinds of questions on the spot. (:
One time I passed out in the front row of a college class. We were watching a birthing video!
I enjoyed reading your things we don't know about you... thanks 4 sharing
That was fun! Why does it feel so great to make people laugh when it's on purpose, but so bad when you don't intend to be funny?
I love Arby's! Beef & Chedder, yummy. Love Patsy Cline - "Crazy." I hope Selena gets to be with Ben in preschool. She loves him. Sorry about your college experience. I'm proud of you for going back to class!
You are so creative Jenni! This was so fun to read. I love your embarrassing moment, even though I haven't read that book. I hope there are sharks in it! =)
Fun Facts Jenni! My sister has been telling me about Moonlight. Maybe I'll check it out. It was fun to wear goofy glasses with you last night!
Post a Comment