Saturday, January 19, 2008

Tekken 5

After many many years Adrian and I once again played each other at Tekken today and it was awesome!! We went to an arcade as a family and I forgot just how much I love playing arcade "fighting games" like Tekken and Soul Edge. Playing arcade games was a huge part of my social life as a teenager and when we started dating it was a favorite activity of Adrian and I. We used play Tekken at the bowling alley in the Wilk at BYU. I was so happy today when we saw Tekken 5 in a quiet corner of the arcade - which was a wild and crazy place, but not too many people were interested in this particular corner which also had Donkey Kong and Mrs. Pac Man right next to Tekken. It was like this little corner was made for our family! Sophie sat at Donkey Kong and played away and Ben sat at Mrs. Pac Man and I think really played it once, but thought he was playing and had a grand time with just the demo screen for a long time.:) So Nina hung out in her stroller and Adrian and I battled away.

As a teen I can flaunt the fact that I whooped almost anyone in Tekken, but my mad skills have gotten a bit rusty... But hey I think the Tekken I played (like 13 years ago) was the original or maybe Tekken 2 and it's changed at lot and has lots of different and might I add super cool characters now. I did pretty good, but Adrian beat me. Obviously the years away from the arcade have dulled my hand to eye coordination. Don't worry though I'm already planning a rematch next time we have a date-night. After we had played a couple rounds a guy came up to us to see if he could play too and Adrian played him first and lost - this guy was obviously quite the gamer. This guy was pretty surprised that I challenged him after he beat Adrian and was equally surprised by my character choice, Sergei Dragunov. The guy chuckled and said, "Man that character looks evil." (Sergei looks like a vampire hence my choice.:)) Well this gamer guy beat me, but before he did I grabbed his character and slammed him down in a fantastic move that made him say "Wow, that was nice!" So I felt vindicated. It was so much fun!! Adrian found it quite funny how happy I was after playing Tekken - it just made me feel all young and silly again and brought back a lot of fun memories. Don't worry though Adrian and I won't become arcade junkies - Nina made it very apparent that a 1/2 hour was her maximum patience for parental gaming fun.
(That's Sergei on the left.:))

10 comments:

Cami said...

Nice. I love Tekken. I love any game where I can basically push a bunch of buttons randomly and still do pretty well. That sounds like Jake's idea of a PERFECT family outing. I suppose we should do it sometime.

Anonymous said...

I love those arcade games too. I was really good at Centipede. Oh, and who doesn't love the Donkey Kong music?

Dawn said...

I hate arcade games they drive me nuts, probably because i stink at them ????

Anonymous said...

Never really got into arcade games. But hey, we all have our "things". I personally enjoy spider solitaire.

Becca at Motherhood "perfected" said...

Wow Jenni, you consistently surprise me. You are a very interesting multi-layered person. Like a parfait.

Christie said...

Ohh, I like Street Fighter... maybe we'll have to play sometime. :-) Sounds like a good time.

Brenda said...

I went on a date once to an arcade. It made me laugh that they took us there, but it was pretty fun!
I'm sure your husband LOVES that you like to play games. Every guys dream, I guess!

Scarlett said...

That is so funny, I never would have thought of you as the video game type of girl. You are a little treasure box aren't ya?

I love to hear about families having a great time together, even if it is playing video games. I draw the line at Guitar Hero III, I can do that one very well, but can't seem to coordinate anything else, like fighting games. I loved that comment about you being a parfait.

Jann said...

This was so fun to read. It is so fun to do things like this as a famiy.

Jeri said...

Tekken huh? I am a master at Soul Blade. My brothers don't like to play with me...they say I just "button mash". Whatever...I still beat them! =)

I feel a girls game/arcade night coming on. You up for it?