Sunday, April 13, 2008

Let's Do the Time Warp Again!!!

High school... Oh high school. Those rough waves of adolescence!! I've been thinking about my HS years because on Friday Adrian and I went to a ward activity that was a "high school reunion dance". It was FUN! But it brought back lots of memories. So I thought I'd share some with you...
We'll start with Adrian though because I love this picture of him looking very important walking down the halls of his HS in his Academy of Finance finery. Adrian dressed in a suit and tie every other week as part of a business program.

This is me on graduation day with my parents. That was a very very happy day for me. High school was really not a fun place for me especially since I moved my junior year to a close-knit community and a much smaller high school were everyone knew everyone - well except for me and the handful of other move-ins like me.

I just had to include these in here - these are some of my HS class folders that I've saved for all these years. I used to doodle and write favorite lyrics on everything!! The scary guy on the Trig folder is suppose to be Trent Reznor from NIN. I had a habit of falling asleep in my Trig class, more like I was lulled to sleep every afternoon by the dulcet tones of my teacher Mr. Palmer. I drew the pic of Trent to wake me up after I got a really low grade on a test. I think the only "B" I ever got in high school was in that Trig class!

Okay and I would be totally remiss if I did not share with you at least one high school poem since I carried around my poetry journal all the time, you know just in case the mood struck me right and I had to jot down my thoughts in prose!:)

Listless confusion
abides with me,
filling my ever aching mind.
I look to the right
and left
only to find myself
staring back at me
with strange eyes.
Never before seeing my own face
I run from myself,
but like a shadow
I fall
stretched out on the ground
dark outline
of what I once was.

(Isn't that the epitome of high-schoolness??!!)

So there's a short and fragmented trip down high school memory lane. I was talking to a friend the other day and I think she put it best: "Isn't it great that most of us don't peak in high school!" Oh yes my friend it is!!

6 comments:

Cami said...

Oh, Coach Palmer's Trig class. I wonder if we were in the same one. I got a C and quit half-way through. Never had a problem with math until that class. Ugh.

I LOVED your outfit, and I'm so glad you guys came to the dance and had a fun time. High school is not something I'd love to go back to either, and I lived there forever!

Deb said...

that is awesome! i love the poem and the doodled book covers. i did a LOT of doodling in high school as well. and a lot of sleeping in math.... fun times. great to see you at the dance, too! loved your outfit!

Christie said...

A low grade was a B?!?!?! LOL, not in my life it wasn't. I suppose that is why you use words like dulcet, and prose, and I was ecstatic with a c!

Kellie said...

Your friend's comment is so very true. I would never want to go back, but it is fun to see how far I've come. I was actually thinking of just making up a completely different high school persona for the dance because those years were so weird for me. I have many of those angst-filled poems and and a very ornate U2 logo somewhere. I even have the same story about math. I was a National Merit Commended student, honor society, etc, until 12th grade College Algebra. Yikes. All except mine was a D. Anyway, thanks for sharing. I'm so sorry we missed the dance. Sounds like it was a blast.

Mendy said...

I love that you have those old folders.

You looked great Friday night. I told Michael on the way home that I couldn't believe you weren't even an attendant. Competition was fierce, I tell you!

Unknown said...

Love the high school reunion dance idea. I would never want to go back, but just to see what everyone was like is really fun.