Well we hung out in the area under the bleachers for about 45 minutes during which time I entertained the kids with lots of toys and snacks from our survival kit and they were really well behaved ( an answer to many prayers). I tell you, the tubes of little pirate and knight figures that I bought at JoAnns worked wonders for Ben and Nina. They played happily with those for a long time while Sophie worked on her Hannah Montana quiz book. Adrian called me on my cell phone to let me know that they were still planning on having the commencement ceremony and that the powers that be suspected the storm to pass in another 15 minutes. That was kind of hard news because I was still hoping that they would decide to hold the ceremony in the field house so we could all warm up... I looked out from under the bleachers and realized that all the seats were filling up with people sitting with umbrellas and since it was just drizzling again I ventured out with the kids to sit out on the field again. We found a spot much further back than our previous seats, but after using Nina's taggie blanket much to her chagrin to wipe off all the seats we were fine and there were big screens set up projecting the stage. Another man behind us took pity and gave us an umbrella so we all huddled together under one umbrella and all the graduates started walking out onto the field. As soon as the second speaker started speaking it did stop raining all together and the sun came out so we did get a little warmer. The kids again did great (with Dum Dum lollipops being consumed at an incredible rate) and before we knew it the graduates started walking across the stage. I saw Adrian lining up and got a few pictures of him in line. Then when he walked across the stage the kids and I yelled "Yay!!" as loud as we could and I took a picture of him projected on the big screen (I couldn't seem to get my camera to zoom in and take a picture of him actually shaking hands with the Dean so I guess we might be buying one of those "commencement photos" from the professional photographer there). It was such an amazing moment and I'm so glad we were there to share it with him and cheer him on. He worked so hard for that chance to walk across the stage and have his name read as a graduate with a masters degree!
Thursday, May 22, 2008
Our Graduate!!!!
Well we hung out in the area under the bleachers for about 45 minutes during which time I entertained the kids with lots of toys and snacks from our survival kit and they were really well behaved ( an answer to many prayers). I tell you, the tubes of little pirate and knight figures that I bought at JoAnns worked wonders for Ben and Nina. They played happily with those for a long time while Sophie worked on her Hannah Montana quiz book. Adrian called me on my cell phone to let me know that they were still planning on having the commencement ceremony and that the powers that be suspected the storm to pass in another 15 minutes. That was kind of hard news because I was still hoping that they would decide to hold the ceremony in the field house so we could all warm up... I looked out from under the bleachers and realized that all the seats were filling up with people sitting with umbrellas and since it was just drizzling again I ventured out with the kids to sit out on the field again. We found a spot much further back than our previous seats, but after using Nina's taggie blanket much to her chagrin to wipe off all the seats we were fine and there were big screens set up projecting the stage. Another man behind us took pity and gave us an umbrella so we all huddled together under one umbrella and all the graduates started walking out onto the field. As soon as the second speaker started speaking it did stop raining all together and the sun came out so we did get a little warmer. The kids again did great (with Dum Dum lollipops being consumed at an incredible rate) and before we knew it the graduates started walking across the stage. I saw Adrian lining up and got a few pictures of him in line. Then when he walked across the stage the kids and I yelled "Yay!!" as loud as we could and I took a picture of him projected on the big screen (I couldn't seem to get my camera to zoom in and take a picture of him actually shaking hands with the Dean so I guess we might be buying one of those "commencement photos" from the professional photographer there). It was such an amazing moment and I'm so glad we were there to share it with him and cheer him on. He worked so hard for that chance to walk across the stage and have his name read as a graduate with a masters degree!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
What an awesome story! I'm sure you won't forget that one.
That made me laugh that Sophie wrote she is cold three times on her magna doodle... how funny. I hope you are all feeling warmer.
Tell Adrian congrats from us!! That is such an awesome accomplishment!
Congratulations to you all in the completion of a degree. It takes sacrifice from all of you! I can't believe that they didn't move that ceremony indoors. Crazy! What a night. As if kids at Graduation isn't bad enough!! :-) Hope that you are warmed up.
how exciting! congrats on finishing after all your hard work and sacrifice - both of you! that is wonderful.
and wow. i can't believe they toughed it out with the rain! that sounds very unlike maryland.
I think sitting in the rain with three kids while waiting for that one short MOMENT is much worse than watching for pee:) You go! And congrats to Adrian too!
Big day!! Congrats to Adrian and YOU!! :)
Congrats to both you and Adrian!!! I remember last year when Jared got his masters from JHU and it rained on us too!!! Anyway, you both deserve a party!!!!
Congratulations! That is an incredible accomplishment for both of you. Enjoy your liberation! And great story about commencement - at least you'll never forget it. And your kids are smiling like angels in all the pictures even though they were freezing - what troopers.
Yay for Adrian! I am happy for both of you.
What a great memory of his graduation. You'll always remember it. And you're great for actually sticking around in rain with children. Cograts to Adrian. What a wonderful, smart hubby you have.
Congratulations! What a major accomplishment.
Congrats to all of you! This is a family affair and you all deserve the credit. I wished I had been able to see Daryl walk for either of his master's, but being in a different state, it just wasn't meant to be. Oh well...Congrats again!
Oh my goodness! I didn't even know about that when we saw you guys the other day!! CONGRATS!! Oh, Jake's graduation was freezing too, but no rain, I think. I have those very same pictures of Jakey. How fun for you all!
Well, that was memorable, right? A good story. I liked the magnadoodle part too :) YAY ADRIAN!!
Congratulations to Adrian!
BTW, Jenni, have you seen this?
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20203238,00.html?iid=top25-20080530-Stephenie+Meyer%3A+Exclusive+book+preview
what a relief to be finished! great news!
it POURED when Doug had his MBA graduation, too. we were drenched but it certainly made things more memorable (luckily it was indoors, but the sprint to the car was a wild one).
Congratulations to you Adrian!!! What a long road for the whole family...and it is over!! =) Woohooo!
Post a Comment