It seems I haven't done a flashback Friday about me and Adrian yet, so I'm gonna do one today. When Adrian and I were newly-weds we lived right next to a Japanese hibachi style restaurant named Tepanyaki. Oh, we loved this place! Everything was so good and we literally spent any discretionary money we had going to Tepanyaki for dinner. When we would get home, usually around 7:30 at night, after a long day of classes at the Y and our part time jobs (I worked as a teller at First Security Bank and Adrian worked as a programmer at a small computer company that has long since gone under now) we would drive up to our little rental house and smell the food cooking on the open Benihanna style grills over at Tepanyaki. It was torture. Every night it was, "Oh, do you smell that?? and "Do we have enough money to go tonight??" Usually the answer would be no and in we would go to our tiny house and have chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese sandwiches or Top Ramen and boiled eggs, but at least once a month (on one of our paydays) we would splurge. We would always get the cheapest thing on the menu, which was the chicken, but oh it was so good all grilled up with the zucchini and mushrooms and onions. I wish I knew what ingredients went into that sauce they put on them. So yummy!We have found a similar hibachi style restaurant near where we live now, but I don't think anything will ever come close to Tepanyaki, just because of the immense treat it was at the time and the memories that we have going there during our early months of marriage. I guess it's kind of like when you go camping how the food tastes so much better because your a little more tired and you have to work a little harder to make it (that's what I've heard anyways :)). So now, whenever we go back to our old college stomping grounds we always try to squeeze in a trip to our favorite newly-wed spot and reminisce... but now we always get an appetizer, cause that was our fondest dream back then! :)

3 comments:
I've heard camping food is better because everything tastes better outside. Probably both. oooh, Tepanyaki! I love that place. I never did take Jake. We were fans of Mongolian BBQ instead. Yuummmmmm.
Whenever Jeff and I are back in Utah we have a big ole list of places to eat at. Los Hermanos and Black Angus for Provo, and Sweet Tomatoes and Typhoon for the drive from Ogden TO Provo. (My parents live in Ogden now, the only reason I get to visit Provo at all anymore.) Black Angus has since gone under. Los Hermanos better stay put!
You know, I can't place Tepanyaki. I thought Jeff and I had experienced every restaurant in Provo during our time there!
what a great flashback! how fun those early, poor days can really be. and how much has BYU changed?! it's actually a cool campus now!
Post a Comment