- Pope Joan, Donna Woolfolk Cross - This was for the book club that I hosted back in MD, I've heard they are making it into a movie, hmmm I wonder if it will be good??
- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Betty Smith - Probably right up there in my top 10 books, it is a beautifully written classic.
- Undomestic Goddess, Sophie Kinsella - This was the book that began my crazy Sophie Kinsella read-a-thon.
- Confessions of a Shopaholic, Sophie Kinsella - LOVE IT!!
- Shopaholic Takes Manhattan, Sophie Kinsella
- Shopaholic Ties the Knot, Sophie Kinsella
- Shopaholic and Sister, Sophie Kinsella
- Shopaholic and Baby, Sophie Kinsella
- Can You Keep a Secret, you guessed it Sophie Kinsella
- Remember Me?, Sophie Kinsella - This one is not a favorite, probably because it was more vulgar than most Kinsellas.
- The Book Thief, Markus Zusak - How's that for a 180 after all that fluff?? I really liked this book. The imagery is like nothing I had ever read before...
- The Host, Stephenie Meyer - Not a favorite.
- Little Children, Tom Perrotta - Wow, so this one is a very disturbing social commentary about life in the suburbs... Not a favorable view of stay-at-home moms or married people or cops or well anyone really. People in general are horrible in this book, but the author did have a weird zen sort of respect for skateboarders. I wouldn't recommend it at all, very gritty.
- First Love and Forever, Anita Stansfield - When I started this I had just found out we were moving and selling our house... This is the book I always turn to when I want to feel warm, fuzzy, and a little mind-numbed.
- Kitty and the Midnight Hour, Carrie Vaughn - I borrowed this from Julia and hey vampires and werewolves are always up my alley!:)
- Breaking Dawn, Stephenie Meyer
- Breaking Dawn, Stephenie Meyer - all but the "Jacob" part this time, maybe werewolves aren't always up my alley...
- In Search of Heaven, Anita Stansfield -Okay, so there is a whole Mormon book section at the Walmart here and well somehow it ended up in my cart... Not the best written book in world, it's Jane Eyre with a Mormon context, but okay fluff.
- Quiet Promise, Anita Stansfield - This is where my Anita Stansfield streak stopped, this book seemed to go nowhere and the characters were so one dimensional. Seeing that the Barrington saga went on for many more books I decided to stop at this one.
- Rebecca, Daphne Du Maurier - Amazing book and I loved it. In my top 10 definitely.
- Cocktails for Three, Madeleine Wickham - This is written by the same person as the Shopaholics but under another name. Fluff read. This one was for the plane ride to MD (I'm usually a bit of a mess on planes) and it was great one for that.
- Midnight Sun, Stephenie Meyer - It took me a long time to finally read this because of my annoyance that she's no longer going to finish and publish it... I liked it. A lot. Lots of Edward and that makes me happy. But. I am still fighting my annoyance over her not finishing and publishing it. I was so excited for it for so long and now all I get is an unfinished rough draft... I guess Stephenie Meyer just wants to leave the whole Twilight Saga alone now. Alright. I'll deal, but just need a few more months to digest my disappointment.
- Plain Truth, Jodi Picoult - I liked this book, interesting and the Lancaster, PA setting was lovely. I love Lancaster and am so sad to live so far away now. I am craving a red velvet whoopie pie right now!
Wednesday, January 07, 2009
2008 Books
I'm going to be completely honest about all the books I read in 2008 (which really weren't many - it was a slow book year for me). Please don't think badly of me about some of these selections... I had kind of a stressful year and in times of stress I totally turn to escapist reads as you will see. Surprisingly, I really really liked the Sophie Kinsella fluff though and totally recommend them (well maybe not Remember Me, but the rest are FUN). As for the Anita Stansfield, well I'm sticking by my stressful year excuse for those...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Hey, nothing wrong with escape reading! If you liked Shopaholic, maybe we should go see the movie when it comes out...
You didn't read very many books in 2008???? Ummm...I think I read....2...but one of them I read twice (it was Twilight, obviously!!)
The other book I read was called "The Curse of Chalion" by Lois McMaster Bujold (the librarian recommended it). You might like it. It seemed a bit creepy at the beginning but the plot and characters are very well developed. It's got castles, good guys, damsels, bad guys, and magic. It was the first book that I've read like that and I enjoyed it.
Thanks for posting your list! I'll have to check some of them out! :) You are my new personal book critic! :)
I kept scrolling down your long list, wondering what you would think of my 2008 book list, which basically had to do with Edward, period. Holy cow you read a lot. You need to fly out here for the Shopaholic movie!
Rebbecca is one of my favorite movies ever. That Lawrence Oliver is quite good looking (although he is no Darcy). I need to read the book. So I borrowed "Can you keep a secret" from Scott's grad school book exchange, and the missionaries were over at our house and one of the elders was reading the back of it and got a bit red when he saw the line about the panties creeping up being a secret she keeps from everyone. Very funny!
I had a slow year too. You got at least one MUST READ in there (Rebecca) so it's a successful year no matter how much fluff! :)
Oh, and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn!! That is my actual favorite book. So, you got 2 of my top ten in there! Nice job.
I'm with Cami - those two makes all the rest just fine :) Plus, we ALL need some fluff now and then, that's for sure - and you had a big year!
I am TOTALLY judging you. That raspberry picking scene in Domestic Goddess? Oh my!
(That was the first book I read in England and it helped me acclimate a bit. Fabulous fluff!)
And I'm with Christina. Sounds like a lot of books to me!
Funny! A good deal of those were on my book list as well. I read the Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella and LOVED it too! Such a fun read!
I will admit though, I can honestly say I've never read an Anita Stansfield book I didn't like. I'm kind of a Stansfield junkie! They are perfect for a 'nice' read after something heavy.
We read 'A Tree Grows in Brooklyn' for book club. You seemed to love it. I guess I just didn't get it. It was a super slow read for me and kind of depressed me.
It's funny how different books have different effects on people!
(I'm already onto book 3 of 2009!)
Good for you for keeping track. I love to read, and I read a lot. Maybe I should keep track. it's fun to look back.
I see Jenny is asking to see the movie with you. Did you guys end up both moving to the same area?
Heidi, yes Jenny and I live in the same town - small world, eh?! We ex-Marylanders have to stick together!:)
Post a Comment