Monday, January 26, 2009

Art History Pic for January (and probably February too if I'm honest)


Illustration of the 1943 edition of Wuthering Heights, wood engraving by Fritz Eichenberg,

Arts of the Book Collection, Yale University Library


I came across this most amazing illustration of Heathcliff whilst perusing Wuthering Heights pictures on the web. I love it (would love to have a print of it!!) and think the importance of illustration is often overlooked in art history. Sure there are very important illustrators (or print makers) like Albrecht Durer, but generally how often do illustrators get the acclaim they deserve? I absolutely love the illustrator for the American editions of the Harry Potter books, but don't know her name off the top of my head. (I just looked it up, her name is Mary GrandPre.:)) I feel like a dork for not being more mindful and appreciative of great illustrators. Well, today I am paying tribute to Fritz Eichenberg for creating this gorgeous wood engraving of one of my favorite fictional characters. This wood engraving displays the powerful emotion and tumult of this scene in the novel, when Heathcliff is informed of Cathy's death. You can see his torment in the shape of his body mirroring that of the landscape. Isn't it awesome?? Wow, great job Fritz Eichenberg. I think this wood engraving is a great work of art.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Wow, it is a great depiction of Heathcliff. That book tore me apart though when I read it. I cried and cried... it is such an emotional book. I want to check out the Master Piece Theater of it now though!!

Kellie said...

I'm so behind on reading, but I just love this and couldn't resist commenting. I agree about Illustrations. There are some illustrations from my childhood that are iconic and completely form my image of the story they go with. Thanks as always for making my day a little more beautiful with your talent for explaining why art is so important.