Tuesday, January 13, 2009

January, Sleep, Austen

January
So I was just watching the Today show and I think I have the "winter blues" as described in their last segment. I think I always feel this way in January like a lot of people. December is a wonderful and magical month and then January comes and there is the inevitable let down. I do, however, like the new beginning aspect of January. Its great to make goals for the new year, but honestly I hardly ever sit down and write resolutions... I guess this year I've just made some mental notes of things I'd like to work on - being healthier, kinder, and getting our finances on track. I know those are common themes, but good things to improve on none the less.

Sleep
I think a lot of my January melancholy has to do with lack of sleep also. I've been watching one of Sophie's friends before school. Her mother got a new job that starts early and she'll be coming over an hour and a half before school for the next couple of weeks till her mom can get her set up with the early care program at the school. Consequently I've been waking up at 6am so I can get ready before everyone is up and about. I know 6am is very normal or even late for lots of people, but well I'm a bit weird. I actually feel a little sick when I wake up early as opposed to feeling happy and ready to greet the day. It doesn't help that I usually can't fall asleep till around 1am even if we go to bed at 10 or 11. Hopefully if I keep trying to go to bed at the same time every night that will get better. I've been making breakfast for everyone too (which is usually Adrian's job) and the smell of pancakes or even cold cereal in the mornings makes my stomach twist. The most I can choke down in the mornings is a breakfast shake and I make myself do it because "breakfast is the most important meal of the day". There are some great benefits to this temporary situation though, I like helping out S's mom, Sophie gets to spend time with her friend, Ben loves having S over too (he totally has a crush on this little girl), and Adrian loves going into work early. I don't know how I ended up with such a morning person - when I see how happy Adrian is in the mornings its almost like we are different species. If I get used to waking up early it would be nice. Being a morning person would be wonderful.... Early to bed, early to rise and all that... But right now I'm doing my best to put on a happy face in the mornings - fake it till you make it, right?! Hey, why doesn't anyone extol the virtues of those who are cheerful at night?? I tell you if it was cool to be a night-person I'd have that one in the bag!

Austen
Oh I have to mention that I have been totally engrossed by the cutest mini-series on the Ovation channel called "Lost in Austen". Awesome. It's a weird mix between the book Austenland and the movie Being John Malkovich. What happens is a woman who obsessively reads Pride and Prejudice finds a doorway in her apartment to the world of P&P and kind of switches places with Elizabeth Bennet. I know it sounds dumb, but really it is FUNNY. There is a Colin Firth-esque wet shirt scene that I couldn't stop laughing at. Even Adrian enjoyed watching it and that is saying something. I don't think he has ever happily watched an Austen movie. I have the whole 4 part series stored on my DVR and will probably be watching it lots during the desert of sadness between when Twilight is out of the theaters (its leaving all the theaters near me this Fri), and when it comes out on DVD. March 21st!! Of course I already have it pre-ordered. Don't worry about me though, I think that between Lost in Austen and the new Wuthering Heights airing on PBS this Sunday (CAN'T WAIT) I'll be okay.:)

10 comments:

Christie said...

I get blues in jan. too. I also feel overwhelmed because of all the resolution. I too hate mornings, I always think of how lovely it would be to get up and shower etc before the kids get up and greet them with a smile.. but alas... I too am a night owl. Too bad. :-(

Jenny said...

I heard about that, but I didn't think I had that channel. It sounds really interesting. I'd love to watch it. Do you have a DVD recorder or anything?

Tracy said...

That show sounds so good! I'd love to find a door in my house that leads to Mr. Darcy in a wet shirt! I can't believe Ben loves another besides my Selena. He better get over it by the time they meet in college. You and Adrian are just like me and Chris. He is always so happy in the morning and let's just say I'm not. Good luck with your early mornings!

the design boss said...

I am not a morning person either...the sad thing is that my husband isn't either so I end up being the one to get up and get the kids out the door. It's hard, I feel your pain. I have been doing it for 5 years and it hasn't gotten better. I hope it does for you though!

Jann said...

I get the blues too. It is really no fun. I am with you on the morning thing too. I just hate getting up early. I have discovered a little gem that helps me go to sleep earlier. It is called melatonin. Unlike sleep aids, it is not addicting, completely natural, and does not leave me feeling groggy.

Brenda said...

Hmmm... I am going to have to check out that show! Yes, I am a night person too. I have to force myself to get out of bed in the morning. It's hard, but it does get easier if you make it a habit and you continuously go to bed at the same time every night (that really helps me fall asleep too). Good luck, we all feel your pain!

Cami said...

Ok, so I just heard about that Austen show because I was looking up what else the girl in the brand new Tess of the D'Urbervilles has been in, and she's in THAT. (She's on the left--I guess she's Lizzie.) I'll have to watch it.

Deb said...

ditto on the winter blues. ditto on getting up early. ugh. i hate it. and i wish i hate the ovation channel! so fun!

Deb said...

ha! i don't wish to "hate" the ovation channel. i wish i HAD it. ha!

Corinne said...

OH MAN. That austen show sounds FUN TIMES!! Maybe it will come out on dvd??