Friday, January 02, 2009

Ben's Birthday and New Year Festivities

I can't believe it, but my little Ben is 5!! I don't know what it is about 5, but it seems like an important age. This year he will start kindergarten and it seems like he is fully a little boy now. He had a good birthday I think. He wanted yet again to go to Chuck E Cheese and so that's what we did for lunch. He had such fun playing all the games and Sophie and Nina really enjoyed it too. I will never understand how Chuck E Cheese can charge so much for such horrible pizza, but the kids loved it so it was all good. After all the tokens were used up and little prizes were gotten with all the tickets we headed home and gave Ben an extended birthday Nintendo session (that kid could play for hours if you let him). We had his requested hot dogs, potato chips and strawberry jello salad for dinner and then a Star Wars birthday cake (a Walmart cake decorated by moi with some Star Wars Galactic Heros figures). He loved his presents which were a color-changing light saber, so you can go from good Jedi to dark Sith with the push of a button and a Star Wars Legos set. We really do wonder how long his Star Wars obsession is going to last, but at least it is something he can share with Adrian (whose obsession has stood for a good few decades now:)). So happy happy birthday Benjamin Bunny!! I'm sure in future birthday posts he will want me to refrain from using my favorite nickname for him so I have to put it in now while he is still unaware!:)

We had a very fun new years eve too. Our neighbors 2 doors down invited us over for treats and fun. It ended up that all our neighbors from the 3 houses near us all came and it was so neat to get to know everyone. Honestly, I can't imagine that kind of thing happening in our MD neighborhood; we are constantly amazed by how friendly everyone is around here! We were the only ones with little kids so we ended up heading home a bit early, but it was great while it lasted with lively conversation and goodies galore. Oh, I have to mention probably the funniest part of the conversation. So Adrian had met our next door neighbors before, but I hadn't and he had mentioned that he was from Utah originally... Well the neighbor was talking to me and said she was glad to meet me because she had joked with her husband that "uh oh, since they're from Utah maybe he has 3 wives or something!" I told her in a very friendly tone, "Well we are Mormons, but not polygamists." I couldn't help but smile and laugh and I really hope I didn't make her feel bad, but thought it was best to dispel any fears that she had about her Mormon neighbors right away. Honestly that was a first for me and if it came from someone else it might have been awkward, but she is such a friendly and fun lady that we laughed and then started up a different conversation. Anywho, we came home at about 9pm and it was like Sophie and Ben got a second wind and they wanted to both stay up and play a game. So we got out chips and candy left over from Christmas and played The Game of Life. Ben tuckered out and went to bed around 10, but Sophie held out till the end of the game and came in 2nd place. She ended up going to bed somewhere around 11pm. Adrian and I had a hard time fighting sleep (I know its crazy that I was tired being such a night owl myself) but we watched The Phantom of the Opera till midnight and had a toast with sparkling cider. Happy happy new year!!

9 comments:

Lynette said...

Happy Birthday Ben!!! It sounds like you had a great birthday and a fun New Years too!! I'm glad the conversation with your neighbor wasn't awkward...phew!

Christie said...

I can't believe that Ben is 5!! He looks so big. I have that poor boy stuck in my head as the "rock". :-) That was a long time ago. Looks like you had a great new year!

Tracy said...

I love Ben's hair! He's such a big boy. So glad you're getting to know your fun neighbors. It sounds like a very fun, romantic New Year's you had.

supersonicjan said...

That is the best cake I've ever seen

Jann said...

Happy Birthday Ben. That cake is seriously awesome. He most have been so excited about all the Star Wars fun.

That is so great to have friendly neighbors. Good job on handling the 3 wives comment. Happy New Year!

Cami said...

Sounds lovely and Happy B-day Ben!!

Jenny said...

We watched Phantom until midnight, too. But we forgot to open the sparkling cider we'd bought...we were too tired!

Glad Ben had a good birthday!

Corinne said...

Oh my WORD, Ben's hair is AWESOME!! I'm proud of you for telling your neighbors you aren't polygamists :) hee hee. I wish we'd been with you for your NYE fun!!

ashlee said...

what a great cake. looks like it was a great party!

i met those neighbors briefly when i left the morning after twilight. maybe they thought i was another wife?? HOW DO PEOPLE STILL BELIEVE THAT STUFF?? alas. good on ya for dispelling the myth!