So this month's art pic was inspired by a trip while on vacation to a little art gallery/shop on Center Street in Provo that specializes in Christensen prints. Adrian and I know this little gallery well because it is right next to our favorite deli - Hickory Kist. When we were young marrieds at BYU I worked at First Security Bank on 9th East and Adrian worked at a small computer company on Center St. so we used to always meet for lunch at Hickory Kist. And then if we had time we'd stroll down Center St. and look in this little gallery. It has always specialized in Christensens, well at least since I was in high school.
This time it had quite a few worked by his daughters. (Ashlee, I know you really like their works and at this little shop some prints actually weren't as expensive as you would think. Maybe they have a web site?) I was especially struck by Christensen's angel paintings. When I think of Christensen the first thing that pops into my mind are poofy clothed, funny, fairy-tale type paintings, but these angel ones seem far more moody and how I love moody art! :) So this one was my favorite and I hope you like it too:
Men and Angels - James Christensen (I couldn't find a date for it)
8 comments:
You're so fun. You go from potty talk to sophisticated art talk so naturally! It is a beautiful picture.
Very neat picture, Jenni! How cute that you and Adrian used to both walk halfway and meet for lunch.
Love the piece art. Her face is breathtaking, love her expression.
Thanks for sharing the background story too. I worked on Center street in Provo, but never ate at Hickory Kist...I must have been missing something yummy.
Thanks to your excellent taste, I have fallen in love with Christensen's work. So detailed and interesting. And moody is always good-like the Mona Lisa, the answers are never completely revealed.
I would never guess that was a Christensen piece. I would LOVE to know the name of that studio so I can look into some of his daughters prints!
Ashlee, I found that gallery's name - it's the Window Box Gallery and their website is windowboxgallery.com, maybe they'll have a print for you. :)
Oh, how I love Hikorey Kist. I miss it and the cranberry sauce option. Good times. Thanks for the art!
Great picture Jenni - I love that you are teaching me :) And I forgot that you were a fellow bank teller!!
Post a Comment