Friday, August 31, 2007

My Week So Far

It's been a busy week with lots going on, school starting, playdates, parties... A full week, but a great week. I love the start of school because I like falling back into a set routine. I think I thrive with routine just as much as my kids do. It's fun to be spontaneous and flexible, but I get so much more done during the day when drop offs, pick ups, naps help to organize my time better. Anyways I thought I'd blog a bit about some happenings:

  • Sophie has loved her 1st week in 3rd grade and is especially excited that in "Technology" she gets to work with Apple computers. Adrian had a wide grin when she wrote on one of her homework papers, "if I had 100 dollars I would by an Apple computer". Sounds like soon Adrian and Sophie will be ganging up on me to join the Mac-side. I still stubbornly like Windows.
  • Benjamin can pee standing up! I don't know why I was excited for this milestone as it's been my pain to clean up the bathroom!
  • Nina loves frozen peas! Christina's little Leah loves them so I tried it out and it's become a favorite snack for Nina.
  • Benjamin can't wait for preschool to start and asks everyday if he can go to preschool, but his preschool doesn't start for another couple of weeks. I totally think it's a scam - we have to pay for the whole month of September even though they only have like a week and a half of regular classes. Oh well, other than that I absolutely love his preschool and he gets to have the same teacher this year that Sophie had when she was 4.
  • Sophie has not complained about doing homework at all thus far and they have had them write a bit, which is her least favorite thing to do. I really hope this non-complaining trend continues.
  • Sophie has complained about practicing piano and I am willing to take any advice to make that a more enjoyable experience for us both. :)
  • Overtime just, well... sucks. Sorry that's sounds a bit harsh, but Adrian putting in much longer work hours has been rough. He's got a lot going on a work right now and needs to do this, but because he's usually out the door bright and early, I no longer have the alone-getting-ready-time that I used to have while Adrian got the kids breakfast. Argh! I think, however, that Adrian is enjoying the new schedule since he's such a morning person... Still having a hard time understanding how anyone can be a morning person... :) The closest thing I resemble in the morning is a tired grizzly bear! :)
  • Nina loves facing forward in her carseat! Her first day facing forward was Monday and as soon as I put her in her carseat and she realized it was switched around she started waving her arms and legs and making happy sounds! :) She has especially liked being able to see the DVD screen now and all car trips have so far been such a treat for her. I'm sure the novelty will wear off soon. :)
  • I love my new i-Pod playlist, which coincidentally has a lot of the same songs from Cami's wonderful playlist she played at giant journaling. Love those SYTYCD tunes!! Must also acknowledge a heavy influence from the Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse playlists (well the calmish songs from those playlists - man, turns out Stephenie Meyer is a rocker-chick!! :)). Here's the playlist in full:
  1. A Narnia Lullaby (this is the one that Mr.Tumnus plays for Lucy)
  2. Breaking the Habit - Linkin Park
  3. Hide and Seek - Imogen Heap
  4. Come Again - Sting (oh, this is a beautiful song from his Songs from the Labyrinth album)
  5. Hamburg Song - Keane
  6. The Moment I Said It - Imogen Heap
  7. Sing for Absolution - Muse
  8. Can't Take it In - Imogen Heap (from the Narnia soundtrack)
  9. Hey There Delilah - Plain White Ts
  10. Ruled by Secrecy - Muse
  11. Every You Every Me - Placebo
  12. Night of the Dancing Flame - Roisin Murphy
  13. Time is Running Out - Muse
  14. Infra-Red - Placebo
  15. Here With Me - Dido
  16. Running Up that Hill - Placebo (great cover of a favorite Kate Bush song)
  17. My Immortal - Evanescense
  18. Dawn - Pride and Prejudice soundtrack (picture Mr. Darcy walking through the field :))

12 comments:

Joni said...

Yes, I downloaded some songs from iTunes based on the Twilight "soundtrack" suggestions and man did I get a few doozies! I mentioned that I might be getting a song from Linkin Park to Jeff and he looked at me and slowly said, Do you KNOW what kind of music they play? Since I am a folksy, girl-musician kind of gal, turns out that Linkin Park would NOT have been a good fit:)

Corinne said...

I love that playlist! I've heard I'd like Muse. Play some for me next time we're together :)

Anonymous said...

Sophie had homework? My kids had nothing to do all week. Oh, the piano practicing can be painful, but I find if I sit by Alec, sing the songs, (make up words if you have to) and listen and comment instead of just going in another room, he enjoys practicing more. Stick with it! Good luck..

Jann said...

Very fun playlist. I love my iPod. What a great busy week you have had. I will never understand morning people either. I am grumpy until after 9. My poor kids.

Cami said...

Aha, so you do know Muse. My sister just told me about them. Great song list. Good luck with overtime! That is horrible. And congrats with the standing up pee! I wonder if Ethan could . ..

ashlee said...

busy week! SO good to see you!

Jared - Christina said...

Yay for frozen peas! :)

Kels said...

Benjamin is potty trained? Awesome!!

Kellie said...

Oh, I remember frozen peas. They are the best when teething, too. Glad you are settling back into your routines, too. I'm glad you are enjoying your music, and hope you're practicing to dance for us at GJ next month. :o)

Brenda said...

Fun week! Wow, so many fun events. So, Nicole told me that if you sit with them while they are practicing piano it really helps. I know what you mean though, it's starting to get to be a struggle for us too! I just try my hardest to make time to sit with her while she does it. Good luck!

Becca at Motherhood "perfected" said...

Ahh routine! I know what you mean. I love the i-pod playlist. Especially the last song about Mr Darcy walking through the field - that just sort of says it all...

Deb said...

that's so funny! gregory gets breakfast for our kids too, while i'm trying to wake up in the morning. it throws the whole day off when he has to go in early. somehow, i too ended up marrying a morning person. who would have thought?