Eclipse, Eclipse... Well, my opinion is mixed I'd say. And I know the book has had lots of mixed reviews... So, for me, a grown woman, man it was great!! And it was steamy!! Not to the point though that I know it would have gone in a normal vampire-genre novel, and that's why I love Stephanie Meyers. And not to the point that I was ever personally offended. Also, I readily admit that it was not full of the best writing in the world. Really cheesy parts. But every trip I make into Forks is purely for escapist fluff and I think Meyers delivered as far as that goes. :)As far as it being a great book for teenagers, well that I'm not sure about. I think that depends on the individual teenager. (And of course this is from the point of view of a mom who's oldest child is only interested in Disney's Fairies books at the moment.) For some kids I think the book would open up great discussion for why you shouldn't put yourself in situations that could get heated - cause that's what the feelings are like and that's why you shouldn't be alone in a parked car... or your boyfriends BED in Bella's case... Hello! That was a little unexpected, but I guess from the very beginning he's been watching her sleep in her bed... Anywho, that "one" scene was a little much and I did say out loud to Adrian, wow that scene was a bit shocking. Honestly, and I really don't want to give the wrong impression of myself as a teenager... I did know right from wrong and all and I never made hugely bad choices, but man I read some smutty vampire lit that was extremely popular when I was younger. And I never thought Eclipse went to the point of smut. I think Edward arguments were really quite good (in "that" scene) and maybe for some teens that was a good talking to from the super duper uber vamp they love. I think the thing about that scene that was shocking to me were the arguments on Bella's part. That was strange knowing that an LDS mom was creating those words for a character that up until that point I didn't know was THAT hormonal! I guess she was exploring the feelings of lust and love and commitment in the eyes of a non-LDS teenager, which is probably the bulk of her audience. Glad Edward's counter arguments were included in that scene.
I loved the Wuthering Heights parallels, that was so great to me. That quote "...I cannot live with out my life. I cannot live without my soul." is the page that my well worn copy of Wuthering Heights automatically opens to from the constant reading of it. Heathcliff is evil (and sometimes misunderstood), but man he has some great lines!!! All and all I'm still a huge Edward fan, Jacob's great, but Edward is... well Edward!! I was never swayed to go towards the... warmer side I guess! :) I thought the meadow scene was great at the end to show that Bella had decided to choose the right, shall we say... Okay, one question, when is Bella gonna learn the self-sacrifice thing just messes things up!! I know that suppose to be poignant in each one, but for me the whole cutting herself with the rock thing was just silly in this one. Wait, two questions, when is that Midnight Sun one coming out??!!! Meyers is just being mean putting that off any longer!
So there you go. Just my humble opinion and review. I must remind, the Da Vinci Code happens to be a favorite of mine along with Catcher in the Rye, so with that maybe you might view my review with a grain of salt??? :)

5 comments:
Thanks for your review. I was quite shocked and stunned to read so much lusty stuff especially when I knew that my 12 year old would be reading it right behind me. She was too into the other two books to say "um sorry, too smutty." I guess we will have to have a chat about that. She's done now and she hasn't said whether she totally loved it or not. I am a little let down by Meyers, personally. I wanted to it to be 100% clean so I could trust that my kids could read it without worry. Guess I was wrong.
Yes, you and I are on the same page my friend :)
I share your love/lust for Edward. I guess I had too many years of watching my mom's soap opera for any of the book to offend me. I loved it all. Glad you had time to finish it.
Great review, Jenni! I couldn't turn the pages fast enough; I do so love a good love story. And I've read worse, to be sure, but I still couldn't help but be a little disappointed in Meyer for some of it. I just expected a higher standard from her on the whole morality thing.
After reading this book I am still and I think always will be swayed toward Edward. I was shocked how low Jake went in getting Bella to kiss him. GRRRRRR. All in all I think it was a good book, because you are absolutely right we read it to escape to Forks, WA.
Post a Comment